Inmarsat has been at the forefront of global mobile satellite communications for over forty years, and is the market leading provider of voice and high-speed data communications for users on land, at sea and in the air through its constellation of 14 geostationary satellites. Inmarsat is a privately owned company with a profitable track record and significant growth aspirations. This is represented by more than 55 nationalities in the workforce, reflecting the global and dynamic nature of the business. With an investment of over $3 billion in its latest network infrastructure, Inmarsat is at the forefront of global mobile communications innovation.
Chief Technology Office
Inmarsat’s Chief Technology Office (CTO) business unit sits at the core of our business and focuses on innovative technology development and engineering. The CTO maintains a centre of excellence for technology and broader infrastructure-related innovation, translating market needs into core expansion programmes to enable market development. We ensure that Inmarsat’s products and services are constantly pushing the boundaries of satellite communications. The CTO team is responsible for delivering Inmarsat development programmes, including satellites and launchers, ground infrastructure (ground stations, networks, user terminals and access technology), regulatory, market access and product and service development.
Primary role purpose:
The Data Solutions team sit within Aviation Platform Engineering and are responsible for providing monitoring and reporting tools and services for our Inflight connectivity products.
These rich tools enable our users to visualise the vast array of data traversing our satellite networks, providing insights into the quality of service being delivered, as well as how our satellite connectivity services are being utilised by our end customers.
The performance of these tools and the accuracy of the information they provide is of critical importance to not only Service Delivery, Marketing, and Strategic teams across the business, but also by our customers, suppliers and partners.
As a Senior Data Scientist within the Data Solutions team you will be responsible for the development, maintenance and evolution of the analytics tools (running in the production environment) which measures and forecast service performance, quality of service and SLA compliance.
- Full ownership and accountability of the analytics tools
- Subject matter expert for the SLA calculation methodology and key service performance metrics
- Designing, deploying, maintaining, optimizing and troubleshooting analytical procedures applied to large data-sets
- Developing OOP code that is functional, reliable, maintainable, scalable and extensible
- Providing ad-hoc data analysis
- Resolving complex issues that may impact multiple business areas
- Maintaining relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Collaborating with Data Engineers, Software Engineers, and Data Scientists both within the team and across the business
- Writing clear and relevant documentation
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
- Object oriented programming (OOP)
- Expert level Python, including data analysis & manipulation packages (e.g. Pandas, Numpy)
- Expert level SQL
- Intermediate statistics
- Familiar with Airflow
- Familiar with the Software Development Lifecycle
- Creative problem-solving
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Comfortable with working independently and taking ownership
- Willingness to work outside of area of expertise
Desirable Knowledge and Skills:
- Package managers (e.g. Poetry)
- Jinja2 SQL templating
- Version control systems (e.g. Git)
- Linux scripting
- Comfortable with coaching members in the team
- A passion for developing creative solutions to real user needs and business problems
- Experience in aviation connectivity
- Experience in telecommunications industry
You must be eligible to work in this location advertised.
Our values define Inmarsat’s culture and represent what we believe in. Inmarsat employees aspire to certain behaviours which support our corporate values, they create a stronger working environment and lie at the heart of our continued success as an organisation.
- Customer – Providing a unique value to our customers
- Accountability – taking ownership, getting results and keeping our promises
- Respect – collaborating, embracing diversity and valuing differences
- Excellence – creating bold solutions for our customers and putting quality at the heart of everything we do