One team. Global challenges. Infinite opportunities. At Viasat, we’re on a mission to deliver connections with the capacity to change the world. For more than 35 years, Viasat has helped shape how consumers, businesses, governments and militaries around the globe communicate. We’re looking for people who think big, act fearlessly, and create an inclusive environment that drives positive impact to join our team.
As a Machine Learning Engineer, you will be part of a diverse team of engineers developing next-generation, vertically integrated products and services at Viasat. You will develop new, novel algorithms and techniques for analyzing complex data sets collected during Viasat’s product and service lifecycles. You will be responsible for defining and developing models that produce new inferences and enable action by adjacent teams. You will work with software engineers to create new tools, libraries, and services that can expand Viasat’s ability to understand complex data sets. You will be part of a growing team developing cloud-based solutions for tackling problems found at the cutting edge of technological development.
On this team, you’ll build a breadth of knowledge including distributed systems, predictive analytics, and machine learning. You will design, develop, and deploy analytic pipelines to answer questions across multiple business areas and disciplines for Viasat’s broad but vertically integrated products. We encourage learning through immersion, collaboration and action. We value adaptability and curiosity. Our ideal candidate is someone focused on solving tough problems using data and loves doing so. You will have a role in the training and education of your peers by providing technical guidance and supporting team member growth.
As a Machine Learning Engineer, you will contribute with:
- Maintains responsibility for translating business requirements into objectives and problems to be solved using data science and machine learning optimization
- Architect, design, and build data analysis pipelines working with large and complex data sets to monitor and analyze metrics
- Use statistical tools to design experiments and determine causality
- Design and create predictive and decision-making algorithms for various business needs
- Transforming and understanding data from many systems
- Presents technical solutions to business partners using their strong communication skill
- Maintains responsibility for ensuring the delivered software product remains operational and that fresh data is ingested continually
- A Bachelor degree in a highly quantitative field (Computer Science, Engineering, Statistics, Mathematics, Physics or related field))
- 4+ years of industry experience in software development, machine learning and/or distributed systems.
- Experience with leading initiatives from inception to production.
- Experience with Python/Spark, C/C++ and SQL
- Experience working with diverse and disparate datasets.
- Ability to communicate and present data to technical & non-technical audiences
- Master's degree is a plus
- Experience building ML/DL models & supporting infrastructure (training & inference).
- Experience with spatial/GIS processing (postgis, rasters/GDAL, pyproj, shapely)
- Experience with docker, ansible, airflow
- Knowledge of communication & networking protocols
- Experience with visualization frameworks such as plot.ly/D3, Matplotlib, bokeh/seaborn, or similar.
If the Federal Executive Order for Government Contractors becomes effective, this role may require vaccination. In such instance, absent an approved accommodation based on a religious or medical reason, employees in this role will be required to be fully vaccinated no later than applicable deadlines, which are unknown at this point. Viasat will strive to give individuals as much notice as practicable if a vaccine mandate becomes applicable to this role.