This role is with the internal market monitoring (IMM) group in ISO New England. Market monitoring is responsible for protecting both consumers and market participants in the wholesale electricity markets by mitigating the impacts of uncompetitive bidding, identifying and reporting market design issues and market manipulation, and evaluating market performance. In fulfilling this role, we rely on a multidisciplinary team with expertise in economics, financial analysis, engineering, data science, and law.
How You Will Make An Impact
- Hybrid work schedule with up to 2 days remote
As a member of the market monitoring team, you will be working closely with our Senior Data Scientist, market analysts and economists to maintain and develop systems and cutting-edge tools to support our core functions. You will have the opportunity to obtain knowledge of market mechanics as you apply your data analysis, statistical, and programming skills to practical and increasingly complex electricity market issues.
What We Are Looking For
- Maintain and enhance a dynamic data visualization system environment, ensuring optimal performance and functionality
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to ensure efficient operation and continuous improvement of the system
- Assist with the development and maintenance of databases to store and manage large amounts of data and ensure data accuracy and integrity
- Document system design and functional specifications
- Evaluate and recommend new tools and technologies to improve the visualization system
- Perform extract, transform, load operations from various sources for data visualization and analysis purposes
- Conduct full-scale data analyses with data scientists, market analysts, and economists on large and diverse energy market data to create visualizations and identify patterns, trends, and outliers
- Assist in the development of insightful market metrics, screens and analyses designed to gauge market performance and detect anomalous trading behavior
- Stay current with emerging trends and technologies in the field of data science
- Participate in team discussions on electricity market outcomes and performance
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Mathematics or other technical discipline
- An interest in energy markets, specifically in their design, function and market behavior
- Proficiency in programming languages for data analysis such as R, SAS, and/or Python
- Experience developing interactive dashboards in R using various packages and extensions.
- Proficiency in SQL and database administration and development
- Experience working with a Unix/Linux environment
- Demonstrated ability to research, document, and share new knowledge resources to build team understanding of new functionality and methodologies
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Self-motivated, inquisitive, highly organized, and detail-oriented
- Ability to work independently and in a team-oriented environment
Clarity of purpose is the starting point for all success. The ISO’s mission, vision, and values define our purpose—these values serve as the cultural cornerstones of the organization. Mission:
Through collaboration and innovation, ISO New England plans the transmission system, administers the region’s wholesale markets, and operates the power system to ensure reliable and competitively priced wholesale electricity. Vision:
To harness the power of competition and advanced technologies to reliably plan and operate the grid as the region transitions to clean energy. Values:
Expertise, Respect, Innovation, Dependability and CollaborationWhat We Offer:
Located in Holyoke, MA amid the picturesque Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, our employees get the best of both rural and urban living, enjoying day-to-day local community culture and conveniences with drivable access to big city amenities. Our competitive base salaries, performance-driven bonus incentive offering, as well as a variety of health, wellness, and professional development benefits underscore the value we place in our employees. Beyond our comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plans, we encourage continuous learning through our training and tuition reimbursement programs and support work-life balance with flex hours, hybrid work models for most roles, and paid vacation and holidays. Our benefits strive to fulfill the needs of our employees across life’s stages, with paid parental time off, health and wellness programs, 401k with company match, and a retirement plan. For the convenience of our employees, we offer complimentary access to our onsite fitness center and a cafeteria with free coffee. COVID-19 Policy:
Employee safety and well-being is a priority at ISO New England. To safeguard our teams and the important work they do, ISO New England has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy. Equal Opportunity : We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer. Applicants for employment are considered without regard to race, creed, color, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, age, disability, status as a veteran, Vietnam Era Veteran, or being a member of the Reserves or National Guard.
Drug Free Environment: We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
Social Networking Notice : ISO New England reserves the right to review the candidate's postings on any social networking site accessible in the public domain as part of the candidate assessment process.