Do you want to join a team of passionate innovators AND improve global health?
Nexleaf is a nonprofit technology company that believes when people are equipped with better data, they are empowered to build a healthier and equitable world for all. We are committed to transforming global health systems using data-driven insights.
We have built a team of curious skeptics, data lovers, social justice advocates, forward-thinking computer scientists, and public health experts that are on a mission to rethink how life-saving solutions are designed and delivered. Partnering with leading organizations such as Google.org, Gavi, Qualcomm, and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, we are focused on measurable and long-lasting impact.
Nexleaf is seeking a Data Analyst to work with our Clean Cooking team to bring our cooking data analytics to a new level. This is a short-term consultancy expected to last approximately 4 months and involve full-time to near full-time work during that time period.
During this engagement, you will take our Clean Cooking program to the next level by grounding us in data-driven solutions. As a key consultant to our program manager, you’ll bring your curiosity and passion to contextualize data and generate meaningful and actionable insights that translate into powerful stories. Your contributions will ultimately pave the way for us to design and develop new data platforms that will push the boundaries of what’s possible in clean cooking.
The ideal candidate is someone who has a passion for data-driven solutions and is excited about taking an investigative and user-centered approach to finding the most meaningful and actionable interpretations of data. You will be a part of discussions with technical and non-technical audiences, internal and external to Nexleaf, contextualizing data to gain a deep understanding of the needs of end-users on the ground to inform the design and development of new data platforms.
The Analyst will perform the following scope of work:
- Determine the stove performance indicators and/or impact metrics that will yield the most clear and actionable insights for global stakeholders. This will involve getting to know and understand our sensor-based data, collaborate with the Cookstoves Program team to understand how our data can and should provide insights on cookstove performance, experimenting with different forms of analysis, and developing an understanding of what our partners need to learn from their data.
- Analyze project data from Nexleaf’s sensor-based monitoring system using these chosen impact metrics, and produce write-ups and reports offering interpretations of data, insights, and recommendations.
- Research performance indicators/impact metrics utilized in the clean cooking sector, including an assessment of which indicators and data are most applicable to program goals and what existing indices or standardized instruments are available. Specific emphasis on data and impact metrics related to results-based financing.
- Participate in components of user research relevant to stakeholder engagement and product development. Provide expertise on integrating multiple data sets with data systems to inform Nexleaf’s development of new data platforms and visualizations.
- Proven skills and experience in data analysis (5+ years), including analyzing and interpreting “real-world” imperfect data
- Strong consultative skills, with a knack for asking clarifying questions early and often
- Ability to perform rapid, iterative, exploratory analysis
- Experience working with continuous time series data
- Proficiency with qualitative and survey data analysis
- Ability to formulate, validate, and articulate challenges, assumptions/risks, hypotheses and key data takeaways
- Ability to visualize and communicate complex data in a simple, actionable way to both technical and non technical audiences
- Proficient technical writing skills and ability to produce lean reports and documents
- Ability to communicate with and understand the needs of global stakeholders
- Strong collaboration and communication skills, ability to engage technical and non-technical audiences and stakeholders
- Ability to communicate needs, collaborate, and meet deadlines in a remote work environment
- Topical knowledge and experience in the clean cooking or household energy sector, especially working with related data sets.
- Knowledge of commonly used metrics, indicators, and data for applied household energy or cooking projects and programs
- Experience working with IoT sensor data
- Proficiency or expertise in a programming language like Python or R
- Field experience in a low or middle income country