Senior Data Scientist - Life & Health Regional Analytics Centre
Career Level 4
Singapore , Singapore
Big data, artificial intelligence and advanced analytics are transforming the insurance industry across the value chain. Munich Re is at the forefront of this trend, having made a significant investment in start-of-the-art analytics infrastructure and software, central and regional analytics centres of competence and several successful analytics initiatives with its clients worldwide.
Munich Re has experienced exponential growth in demand for analytics pilots from its clients in life, non-life and health. An exciting opportunity exists for a senior data scientist with advanced analytics skills to join Munich Re’s regional analytics team located in Singapore. This team supports Munich Re’s Asia-Pacific, Middle East and Africa business life and health business region. As such you will work in an agile and innovative area, gaining exposure to a wide variety of business problems, other teams of Munich Re, clients and geographies.
Using advanced analytics methods to derive actionable insights from existing and new sources of data, the role will contribute towards new services and business models. Predictive analytics applications will span the entire insurance value chain from transforming the customer experience during underwriting, cross-selling, pricing and experience analysis, lapse prevention through to claims management decisions. In this position you will cooperate closely with our clients, actuaries, underwriters, client managers, the IT department, other analytics teams worldwide including at our head office in Munich. You will apply Machine Learning (ML) and Deep Learning (DL) methods to interpret all types of data (structured, unstructured, images, etc.) and build solutions to and solve real problems our clients are facing today.
You will play a leading role in the execution of the full modeling cycle, including the integration of data, selection and application of predictive modeling techniques, model validation and deployment, presentation to and engagement with clients on results.
- The opportunity to be a data scientist in a vibrant, leading global reinsurance company with diverse data to enable innovative data analytics
- Develop insurance business solutions based upon insight discovered from data
- Active participation in and management of projects in the fields of statistics, ML and DL
- Supporting and advising the business units in applying the latest research methods and providing a central source for specialized know-how, tools and techniques for data analytics
- Presentation of statistical, ML and DL solutions to internal and external stakeholders
- Networking with already existing data-intensive units in the area of analysis and reporting, as well as with IT to form an analytics community.
- Collaborate with internal partners in Life and Health and the data analytics centre in Munich to leverage capabilities in big data technology
- Preference for Master’s or Ph.D. in data science / advanced data analytics but other fields will be considered including statistics, applied mathematics, information technology, engineering, computer science, or a comparable discipline.
- More than 5 years of industry data science / AI / ML experience
- Proven experience managing analytics projects end to end
- Very good theoretical knowledge of AI, ML and DL methods
- At least 7 years hands-on coding in R, Python, SQL (e.g. ETL), etc.
- Proven experience overseeing data scientists teams
- Experienced in carrying out exploratory data analysis, model development and visualization in Jupyter Notebooks (Python and R)
- Must have demonstrable experience in coding and applying traditional regressions (e.g. GLMs), ML (decision trees, random forest, boosted trees, etc.), natural language processing, DL
- Working on data science virtual machines on the cloud (Azure, AWS, etc.)
- Understanding of RESTful APIs and microservices is an advantage
- Demonstrable Kaggle / Git / analytics blogs and repos are an advantage
- Experience in insurance/reinsurance industry would be an advantage and specifically on the topics of underwriting and claims automation and fraud detection
- Stakeholder management:
- Working with multiple stakeholders across the analytics lifecycle
- Strong communication in:
- Documenting analytics results (e.g. MSWord, PowerPoint, Notebooks, etc.)
- Verbally explaining analytics concepts and results to non-technical audiences and domain experts and translating analytics results into business solutions
- Ability to deliver under short but reasonable timelines
- Capacity for innovation, entrepreneurial mindset, forward-looking, enjoy working in a team
- Good command of English essential
- Willingness to travel within Asia for short periods
Find out Who we are, What we do, Our Strategy and How we can Support & Reward you
Our business model is based on the combination of primary insurance and reinsurance under one roof. We take on risks worldwide of every type and complexity, and our experience, financial strength, efficiency and first-class service make us the first choice for all matters relating to risk. Our client relationships are built on trust and cooperation. If you would be interested in helping shape the future as part of one of our teams, we look forward to hearing from you.
Apply now! Apply for this Job!
At Munich Re, we embrace, and value, the interaction of diverse backgrounds, experiences, perspectives and thought. This interaction is our foundation. Of our open culture and spirit of partnership. Of how our teams are built and cultivated. Of how we are supported and developed. And at the centre of this interaction is each of us.