Catawiki's purpose is to enable people to discover and obtain special objects that help them fulfill their passions. In doing so, we add some color & make the world a more interesting place.
Our Data Story
With thousands of active lots every day, hundreds of thousands of daily bids, millions of users, and billions of events, the Catawiki platform generates vast amounts of data every day. All this data is being collected and stored, and used extensively by our team of 10 analysts and data scientists to build insights and data products both for hundreds of internal users and real time applications on our website and apps.
As Catawiki grows and produces more data, we constantly have to scale and improve our data infrastructure to make sure we can keep using data to build a better company. We are therefore looking for a Data Engineer to help us tackle the challenge of bringing even more data sources into our platform and transforming and organizing this data for analysis and consumption by other applications. It's a big challenge but one that we're really excited about solving.
What you will do
You will work in cooperation with our Data Scientists and Software Engineers to:
- Explore new ways of transforming and analyzing data and continuously expand and improve the performance of our data pipelines.
- Bring in more data sources to our data platform by building robust and scalable data integrations
- Work closely with Data Scientists and Product Managers to decide how best to structure and store data in order to make it easily accessible to business users.
- Continue developing and streamlining our Kubernetes-based in-house data science platform to support the development and deployment of analyses and machine learning solutions
Who you are
- A Data Engineer who likes to experiment with and explore new tools and technologies.
- You have experience with Kubernetes on one of the major Cloud providers.
- You're comfortably working with multiple of the following technologies, as they're all in our stack: Python, Java/Scala, Bigquery, PostgreSQL, Hive, Spark, Google Dataproc, Airflow, Kafka, Dataflow, Google Cloud, Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform, Vault
- Professional experience with relational databases: reading, writing and optimizing complex statements.
- You are interested in the (continuous) deployment of machine learning models
- You know how to design and build low-maintenance, high performing ETL processes and data pipelines.
- You can communicate an idea clearly on various levels of abstraction, depending on the audience.
The Catawiki Story
A piece of the moon, a complete dinosaur skeleton, the Pope's hat, the world's smallest book - at Catawiki, we come across exceptional objects such as these every single day. As Europe's fastest growing online auction platform, our mission is to make special objects available to everyone.
In fact, 14 million users are buying and selling on Catawiki every month. This means we are continually growing and always on the lookout for new talent.
Born and raised in The Netherlands, we started in 2008 as a platform where collectors could manage their collections online. Yet, times change, ideas evolve, and in 2011 we hosted our first online auction and we haven't looked back since! We've now grown to 500 Catawikians working across 7 International offices and are proud to have maintained our start-up mentality.
Here's what we can offer you
A diverse and international team with over 50 different nationalities, located in the heart of Amsterdam and Assen with an easy-going atmosphere.
The Catawiki Community gathers everyone together for everything from 'CataFooty' to International Food Festivals, Friday Drinks, Board Game Nights, Pub Quizzes and Boot Camps!
And there's more! We also provide paid holidays, holiday allowance and a pension plan paid for by Catawiki.