BGC Engineering Inc. (BGC) is an international applied earth sciences professional services firm. We are proud of our talented team of over 700 employees, spanning the fields of Engineering, Geoscience, Software, Geomatics, Data Science, Accounting, Administration, Health & Safety and Human Resources. Alongside our clients and industry partners, BGC works collaboratively as ‘One Team’, dedicated to solving the world’s most critical applied earth science challenges. BGC has Canadian offices located in Vancouver, Victoria, Kamloops, Kelowna, Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, Ottawa, Fredericton, Halifax, and offices in Golden (Colorado), Santiago (Chile), Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic) and Brisbane (Australia).
Our flat management structure creates a culture of innovation, excellence and transparency and a casual, dynamic and inclusive work environment. BGC prides itself on offering training and mentoring opportunities to further our employees’ professional growth as well as social and wellness activities that contribute to the connection and wellbeing of our team.
We believe in One Team, Excellence, Curiosity, Common Sense and Clarity.
We are looking for a self-directed and curious data scientist who is interested in working with geospatial and earth science data to support BGC’s data science, software, and geoscience teams. You will join our small but rapidly growing data science group who is specialized in delivering innovative products to our clients in the earth observation and applied geoscience space. As a key member of a small team, your responsibilities will be broad and range from internal networking, writing proposals, researching and developing algorithms to solve problems, maintaining physical and virtual resources, and working with the software team to implement algorithms into BGC’s enterprise software offering, Cambio(TM). The right candidate will be excited by the prospect of exploring new ways to analyze geospatial data at scale, in pursuit of novel solutions to applied earth science challenges.
This position can be located at any BGC office.Responsibilities
Required Education, Experience & Competencies
- You will apply your expertise with machine learning, data analysis, and data science to BGC’s unique set of earth science challenges.
- Build prototype analyses, visualizations, and dashboards to support solving complex earth science challenges
- Collaborate with the software team as part of the agile development life cycle.
- Keep up with current technologies to ensure that application performance is optimized.
- Identify ways to improve reliability, efficiency and quality of data services.
- Bachelor's degree in Earth Sciences, Geological Engineering, Geography, or other related field
- Master's degree in Data Science, Geomatics, or other related field
- 4+ years of related industry experience
- Experience working with geospatial data such as programmatic manipulation and ETL, working with large raster datasets, and proficiency in data analysis and visualization
- Experience maintaining and deploying data science infrastructure, both on premise and in the cloud working alongside DevOps team
- Machine learning development experience such as, applied ML on spatial or raster data (in at least one real-world project), research ML, implementing others’ algorithms and papers, collaborative work in an environment like Azure DevOps or Gitlab
- Experience working with remote sensing data (e.g. satellite imagery, InSAR, Lidar, or drone data)
- Comfortable presenting to and working directly with clients or principal engineers and geoscientists
- Experience in the following: Python, Scientific Python (NumFocus), TensorFlow or PyTorch, SQL, Cloud Computing, Distributed Systems, Docker or equivalent
Desired Education, Experience & Competencies
- Registration as an Engineer or Geoscientist
- Experience with the following: Xarray, Dask, Spark, Spatial relational databases (e.g. PostGIS), R, GDAL, Kubernetes
- Strong knowledge and experience of Azure architecture and tooling
- One or more projects involving inference in production – problems like input drift, model versioning, continual verification
- Design and implementation of REST APIs
- Experience working with large time-series data sets
Position RequirementsCOVID-19 Vaccination
BGC is committed to maintaining a safe work environment, and we are following current public health orders to ensure the health and safety of our employees while maintaining their privacy and respecting their individual circumstances. As of July 4, 2022, the BGC COVID-19 vaccination policy has been suspended until further notice. If BGC resumes this policy, all employees will be required to submit all COVID-19 vaccination records to HR. If you require any accommodations or are not able to comply with this request, please inform Human Resources.Company Benefits
BGC offers our employees the following:
- Our ‘One Team’ culture supporting health, wellness, safety and diversity
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Maternity/Paternity leave top ups
- Professional development and mentoring opportunities
- Flat management structure
- Flexible workplace with office and home arrangements
- Social and wellness activities
- Casual and professional work environment
BGC is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. If you need assistance or an accommodation with your application, please contact us.