Optum, the fast-growing part of UnitedHealth Group, is a leading information and technology-enabled health services business. Our teams are dedicated to modernizing the health care system and improving the lives of people and communities.
Serving virtually every dimension of the health system, we work with a diverse set of clients across 150 countries – from those who diagnose and treat patients to those who pay for care, deliver health services, and those who supply the cures. Optum maintains operations across North America, South America, Europe, Asia Pacific and the Middle East. Our innovative partnerships provide technology and tools that enable unprecedented collaboration and efficiency. As a result, we can tap into valuable health care data to uncover insights and develop strategies for better care at lower costs.
Here at Optum, part of United Health Group we'll put you in the driver's seat on vital projects that have strategic importance to our mission of helping people lead healthier lives. Yes, we share a mission that inspires. We need your organizational talents and business discipline to help fuel ours. It's the opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
About The Role
At UnitedHealth Group and Optum, we want to make healthcare work better for everyone. This depends on hiring the best and brightest. With a thriving ecosystem of investment and innovation, our business in Ireland is constantly growing to support the healthcare needs of the future.
Our teams are at the forefront of building and adapting the latest technologies to propel healthcare forward in a way that better serves everyone. With our hands at work across all aspects of health, we use the most advanced development tools, AI, data science and innovative approaches to make the healthcare system work better for everyone. Join us and do your life's best work.
As a Principal Data Engineer
, you will be focused on developing cutting edge data-pipelines that are the foundation for a new product and supporting machine learning models. You will be a critical leader, focused on innovation; developing proofs of concepts that leverage data in new and exciting ways.Careers with Optum offer flexible work arrangements and individuals who live and work in the Republic or Ireland will have the opportunity to split their monthly work hours between our Dublin and Letterkenny office and telecommuting from a home-based office.
- Develop data pipelines to ingest and transform data using clean coding principles
- Contribute to common frameworks and best practices in code development, deployment and automation/orchestration of data pipelines.
- Partner with Data Science and Product leaders to architect the data framework to support a new product and associated ML models using best practices and standards for developing and productionalizing analytic pipelines.
- Partner with Infrastructure leaders on architecture approaches to advance the data and analytics platform, including exploring new tools and techniques that leverage the cloud environment
- Mentor and train junior members of the team
- Extensive hands-on experience developing data pipelines that demonstrate a strong understanding of software engineering principles
- Experience working with both real-time and batch data, knowing the strengths and weaknesses of both and when to apply one over another
- Experience with designing, configuring, and managing data engineering infrastructure on the cloud (Azure/Databricks/Azure DataFactory)
- Experience building data pipelines on Azure, following best practices in Cloud deployments
- Good Exposure to API (REST) web services development & deployment
- Strong experience with Python, SQL, Spark, Scala
- Understanding of DevOps tools, Git workflow and building CI/CD pipelines
- Experience working with Kubernetes and Docker, and knowledgeable about cloud infrastructure automation and management (e.g., Terraform)
- Experience independently analyzing data against business requirements
- Proven ability to build data quality and governance into data architecture
Technology Careers with Optum.
- Experience working in projects with agile/scrum methodologies
- Experience with shell scripting languages
- Familiarity with production quality ML and/or AI model development and deployment.
- Well versed in Python, in fulfilling multiple general-purpose use-cases, and not limited to developing data APIs and pipelines
- Experience working with Apache Kafka, building appropriate producer/consumer apps
Information and technology have amazing power to transform the health care industry and improve people's lives. This is where it's happening. This is where you'll help solve the problems that have never been solved. We're freeing information so it can be used safely and securely wherever it's needed. We're creating the very best ideas that can most easily be put into action to help our clients improve the quality of care and lower costs for millions. This is where the best and the brightest work together to make positive change a reality. This is the place to do your life's best work.(sm)
All telecommuters will be required to adhere to the UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone–of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location and income–deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes — an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.