HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) ensures money is available to fund public services throughout the country and assist people with targeted financial support. With expanding amounts of intelligence and data, it is a very exciting time to join us!
Within HMRC, our analytical community offers a diverse set of opportunities. These may include: tax compliance risk; identifying threats to UK PLC; and equipping our compliance colleagues with the data and intelligence needed to investigate and tackle avoidance of taxes and duties.
In Profiling and Case Delivery (PCD) we prepare around 500,000 compliance interventions every year. This work helps HMRC reduce the tax gap, by targeting and directing our resources to combat tax fraud.
In Corporates, Illuminate & DoDG we analyse high-risk taxpayers and develop projects to meet the needs of a wide range of stakeholders across HMRC.
Our business provides analytical expertise to policy and compliance partners. We interrogate complex data to understand it, develop insight on it to identify where risk lies and what the riskiest populations are. We prepare and deliver these cases to our customers across HMRC.
PCD uses data analytics for a variety of tasks:
- Identifying and predicting patterns of customer behaviour.
- Identifying and prioritising risks to the tax system to inform strategic and tactical decision making.
- Identifying individual cases for potential enforcement and compliance interventions.
- Providing analysis, helping decision makers understand emerging trends and changes to customer bases.
We need our Senior Data Analysts (SDAs) to have a genuine passion for analytics, an innovative mind-set, the ability to lead, communicate effectively and they need to question our current methods of delivery to improve processes, and to offer a different perspective. As a Data Analyst in this team, you will have access to one of the biggest data platforms in UK government, which is unrivalled by our private sector counterparts. You will need to have a passion for analytics, an innovative mind-set and the ability to question modern methods of delivery to improve our processes and to offer a different perspective.
SDAs demonstrate high levels of experience and ability when using a range of cutting-edge analytical tools and software to manipulate complex datasets to develop insight and risk. SDAs lead on our technical standards of analysis and are responsible for the quality of our analytical products, ensuring standards are upheld and improved.
SDAs provide leadership for our data analysts by working with them on complex projects and finding new and innovative ways of working. SDAs build up the capability of HMRC’s analytical community by developing effective approaches to complex analytical problems.
As an SDA you will:
- employ advanced analytical skills to design and deliver products that identify individuals, businesses and customer behaviours of greatest risk to the UK economy
- use new tools and techniques to develop your expertise for manipulating large datasets, including a range of taxpayer, government, public and commercially available information
- provide leadership on complex projects, developing effective ways of working
- initiate and undertake complex and accurate analysis
- train and mentor our data analysts, building their confidence and capability when:
- the analysis requires deeper technical understanding
- new datasets are developed and introduced, improving our analytical capability
- engaging with new customers
- supporting changes to the systems and tools we use
- undertaking larger programmes of analytical work, or projects with a wider business or reputational impact
- be responsible for building the overall skills of our analytical community.
As an SDA your responsibilities are:
- leading and supporting the work of our data analysts
- leading on the development of complex and high-profile analytical products
- identifying and sharing best practice
- building capability within our analytical community, developing effective and efficient working processes which encourages our people to flourish
- ensuring products meet our quality standards.
- be able to effectively communicate using verbal, written and presentation skills
- have experience of working with challenging, non-analytical stakeholders, often across multiple lines of business
- have a proven ability to be flexible, manage conflicting demands and deliver to tight deadlines
- be comfortable learning to use new tools to manipulate large and diverse datasets, which can include taxpayer, government, public and commercially available data.
Applicants must meet the essential criteria detailed below:
- Demonstrate high levels of experience and technical ability when using bulk data analysis tools or languages, such as SAS Enterprise Guide (or similar)
- Work with business stakeholders to capture their requirements to develop and deliver analytical projects; and demonstrate a capability of effectively communicating project changes, progress issues and results to stakeholders
- Experience of training, mentoring or developing others in the use of data analytics tools or techniques
- A high level of technical ability and effective use of bulk data analysis tools and languages such as R, Python, SPSS (or similar)
A first or second-class honours degree (2:2 minimum) or higher in a subject containing formal mathematics and / or statistical training (for example, Statistics, Mathematics, Economics, Sciences, Business Studies, Psychology, Geography, Computer Science or similar).
Candidates may apply in their final year of study whilst they are still awaiting their degree result, however, job offers will not be made until we receive confirmation of your degree result
Membership of a Government Analytical Service such as the Government Statistical Service, Government Operational Research Service, Digital, Data and Technology Profession (or similar)
And, in addition to one of the above
Relevant previous experience of working in an analytical role where the skills you have developed can be transferred to this Senior Data Analyst role.
Qualification certificates will be checked before your blended interview stage of the recruitment process.