RES O 21R - Data Analyst
Research Officer R21
Victoria, BC V9B 6X2 CA (Primary)
$60,998.61 - $69,422.06 annually
Regular Full Time
Temporary End Date
BC Public Service -> Min of Trans & Infrastructure
Ministry Branch / Division
Passenger Transportation Board
Research Officer R21
An eligibility list may be established.
On November 1, 2021 the BC Public Service announced the COVID-19 Vaccination Policy that defines the conditions and expectations for BC Public Service employees regarding vaccination against COVID-19. Among other possible measures, proof of vaccination will be required. It is a term of acceptance of employment that you agree to comply with all vaccination requirements that apply to the public service. More information can be found here .
The Data Analyst works with a team analyzing passenger transportation industry and other data in support of implementing dynamic economic modelling in Board evidence-based decision-making. This position will review and verify the accuracy of data from a variety of information streams to determine trends, patterns, and generate insight for the work unit and recommendations for improving data acquisition processes to the executive team. The Data Analyst participates in projects under the Data Modelling & Policy Initiative. This position interacts with the Ministry of Transportation & Infrastructure Data Warehouse team, devising queries and analyzing data quality, including data pulling, validation, analysis, and visualizations.
The capital of British Columbia, Victoria is a beautiful city, with beautiful beaches and harbours, and a variety of provincial parks to explore. Located on Vancouver Island, Victoria offers a bustling downtown scene and has a wide range of restaurants and entertainment venues to choose from.
The BC Public Service is an award-winning employer and offers employees competitive benefits, amazing learning opportunities and a chance to engage in rewarding work with exciting career development opportunities. For more information, please see What We Offer .
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
For information about the Indigenous Applicant Advisory Service please visit: Indigenous Applicant Advisory Service - Province of British Columbia (gov.bc.ca) .
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Heather.Ann.Stewart@gov.bc.ca . DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS.
For more information about how to complete your job application, add/edit your resume and for more useful tips when applying for jobs, please refer to the Your Job Application page on the MyHR website. If you are still experiencing technical difficulty applying for a competition, please send an e-mail to BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca , before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible to assist you.NOTE:
Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the competition.Job Requirements
In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education and experience as outlined below:
Related experience must include a combination of at least 7 of the following:
- Degree in data science, economics, computer science, statistics, mathematics or equivalent and one year of related experience; OR,
- Diploma in data science, computer science, statistics, mathematics or equivalent and two years of related experience; OR,
- Certificate from a recognized institution in data science, computer science, statistics, mathematics or equivalent and three years of related experience; OR,
- Four years of related experience, or a combination of education and experience may be considered.
Preference May Be Given To Candidates With The Following
- Experience at leveraging structured and unstructured data sources to conduct quantitative analysis.
- Experience determining appropriate use of various problem structuring methods and statistical methods for sampling, distribution assessment, bias, and error.
- Experience with machine learning, clustering, and classification techniques to analyze diverse sources of data.
- Experience creating and delivering executive-level presentations for the purpose of decision-making.
- Experience using advanced mathematics and scientific rules and methods to solve problems.
- Experience identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Experience using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems.
- Experience analyzing needs and deliverable requirements to create a design.
- Experience selecting and using training/ instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located in the Additional Information section at the bottom of the posting.
- Experience using Structural Query Language (SQL), PowerBI, R, Python, VBA, or Stata.
- Experience conducting literature reviews.
- Experience performing regression analyses.
A Criminal Record Check (CRC) will be required.Application Requirements
Cover Letter: NO -
Please do not submit a cover letter as it will not be reviewed.Resume: YES -
Ensure your resume includes your educational accomplishments, employment history including start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and any relevant information that relates to the job to which you are applying.Questionnaire (COMPREHENSIVE): YES -
As part of the application process, you will be prompted to complete a comprehensive online questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements. Please allot approximately 60 minutes to complete the questionnaire.IMPORTANT:
Comprehensive questionnaire responses will be used to shortlist applicants against the job requirements. Please ensure you include all relevant information about your educational accomplishments and employment history including job titles, start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and your accountabilities and accomplishments.
Policy, Research and Economics