Reports to the Epic Data Warehouse manager and is responsible for the design, deployment, standards, and
performance of the enterprise-wide Electronic Medical Record data architecture. This position plays an important
role supporting the implementation of the enterprise strategy to leverage the EMR data assets by collaborating
closely with leadership. It is important for this role to understand the information and integration needs, source
systems, quality standards, report and analytic requirements, and the EMR data itself to support centralized and
decentralized development of institutional and business intelligence content. Serves as a specialist/consultant on
Responsible for business analysis and systems architecture related to business intelligence and data warehousing
projects, including data integration, reporting, and analytics to support the health system objectives. Develops and
validates the creation and maintenance of enterprise data definitions and metadata. Aligns enterprise data
architecture and design with business needs and strategies. Conducts user interviews, facilitates modeling
sessions, writes business and technical requirements, creates standards and best practices, designs solutions and
implements development. Participates in project planning to ensure effective use of technology and/or business
process to meet customers’ needs. Establishes and monitors project and task schedules and ensures adherence to
work deadlines. Provides leadership, motivation, and direction to staff, builds teamwork, and fosters staff
cohesion. Contributes to staff evaluations.
The primary responsibility of the Data Engineer is to design and deploy data models to support Tableau and
other data visualization projects. This may involve extending the data warehouse with external data to meet
business needs. To achieve this the Data Engineer will:
DESIGN, DEVELOPMENT, and DEPLOYMENT
1. Design and deliver guidelines that allow a broad base of internal and external developers to build
content sourced in the data warehouse while adhering to established standards and strategy.
2. Perform discovery to understand process flows and impact on how data is generated, normal data
values and potential reasons for anomalies.
3. Understand requirements for data, information, reporting, and analytic needs to ensure alignment
with Epic data warehouse architecture and data models.
4. Support the translation of business and technical objectives into solution architecture requirements,
and data architecture designs to deliver Tableau applications.
5. Collaborate with the vendor Epic to design and implement scalable and extensible data architectures.
6. Provide experienced leadership for strategic planning in designing and developing comprehensive,
innovative and integrated solutions. Oversee and mentor junior staff by reviewing tasks and
milestones for quality standards and provide guidance in system/application design and
7. Develop database objects such as data marts cubes, queries, stored procedures, views and tables
required to support appropriate levels of reporting and security.
8. Develop, manage and maintain standards for the enterprise data model. Partner in the development,
management, establishment, and enforcement of technical standards.
9. Develop detailed tasks and project plans by analyzing project scope and milestones for highly
complex projects in order to deliver product in a timely fashion according to lifecycle standards.
10. Integrate multiple cross-functional processes and disciplines to meet business and technical
requirements by bringing perspective from all architecture domains (process, system, application
information, data, and security).
11. Identify areas for data quality improvement by participating in root cause analysis. Make
recommendations to prevent and remediate data quality issues through the appropriate choice of
architectures and practices.
12. Incorporate standards for gathering requirements for aggregate navigation, response time,
repeatable queries, row level security etc. into data warehouse design.
13. Assist with troubleshooting and tuning of business intelligence reports.
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field of study. Master’s Degree, preferred. May substitute work
experience where appropriate. Technical certifications in Epic Clarity and Caboodle, preferred.
Six years of work experience with computer systems and applications. Additional education may substitute for
experience. Requires demonstrated experience in developing ER and dimensional models, data architecture and