Data Scientist, Quantitative Investments
What is the opportunity?
The Quantitative Investments team is looking for a data scientist who can lead in the application of data science and advanced analytics (machine learning and natural language processing) applied in the area of systematic investment. The position is embedded within the investment team and is an opportunity to collaborate with quantitative researchers, portfolio managers, and technology specialists and see projects through from proposal to implementation with a direct impact on investment outcomes.
The Quantitative Investments team within RBC Global Asset Management employs a systematic quantitative approach to the management of equity strategies implemented via mutual funds, hedge funds, segregated accounts, and ETFs. The team takes a multi-factor approach to investment solutions. The models are data-driven and grounded in sound fundamental and economic rationale.
What will you do?
Thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-driven and team-focused environment
- Apply your advanced skills and experience in alternative data, advanced analytics, and data visualization to investment problems
- Energetically conduct value-adding research aimed at adding alpha, modeling risk, and/or improving portfolio implementation
- Evaluate and integrate new data sources and analytics packages to enable research and insight that positively impacts portfolio performance and decision-making
- Provide thought leadership and help develop team capabilities in data science, machine learning (ML), and natural language processing (NLP), and execute in these areas
- Collaborate effectively with multi-disciplinary project teams to complete projects on time and see ideas through to production implementation
- Embrace the investment philosophy and process of the team and contribute constructively to ongoing improvement
- Embody the following culture edges: Curious, open-minded, and eager to learn; motivated to continually improve; driven by the sense of urgency required to thrive in an era of rapid disruption; highly collaborative; and committed to a rigorous and scientific approach
What do you need to succeed?
- An exceptional level of curiosity and a strong drive and focus on driving investment impact through research
- 3+ years of experience in data science, applied in the field of finance
- Advanced degree in a relevant quantitative discipline
- Theoretical and practical understanding of machine learning, NLP (natural language processing and statistics
- Experience with both structured and unstructured data: architecture, feeds, mapping, cleaning and visualization
- Technical skills in programming and data science including experience developing analysis pipelines for natural language processing (NLP) and machine learning (ML)
- Expertise in Text Classification, Topic Modeling and Named Entity Recognition
- Expertise working with language models such as BERT
- Experience with deep learning frameworks: PyTorch, TensorFlow and/or Keras
- Professional programming experience with Python, Spark, Matlab
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
Nice to Have
- Experience in developing and enhancing systematic investment processes, especially equities
- Experience in empirical asset pricing and risk modeling
- Experience with quantitative approaches to portfolio construction and optimization
What’s in it for you?
We thrive on the challenge to be our best, progressive thinking to keep growing and working together to deliver trusted advice to help our clients thrive and communities prosper. We care about each other, reaching our potential, making a difference to our communities, and achieving success that is mutual.
- A comprehensive Total Rewards Program including bonuses and flexible benefits, competitive compensation, commissions, and stock where applicable
- Leaders who support your development through coaching and managing opportunities
- Ability to make a difference and lasting impact
- Work in a dynamic, collaborative, progressive, and high-performing team
- A world-class training program in financial services
- Flexible work/life balance options
- Opportunities to do challenging work
Join our Talent Community
Stay in-the-know about great career opportunities at RBC. Sign up and get customized info on our latest jobs, career tips and Recruitment events that matter to you.
Expand your limits and create a new future together at RBC. Find out how we use our passion and drive to enhance the well-being of our clients and communities at jobs.rbc.com.
Address: 155 Wellington St West
Work Hours/Week: 37.5
Work Environment: Office
Employment Type: Permanent
Career Level: Experienced Hire/Professional
Pay Type: Salary + Variable Bonus
Required Travel (%): 0
People Manager: No
Application Deadline: 10/13/2021
Platform: Wealth Management
Req ID: 419704