Working at Atlassian
Atlassian can hire people in any country where we have a legal entity. Assuming you have eligible working rights and a sufficient time zone overlap with your team, you can choose to work remotely or return to an office as they reopen (unless it’s necessary for your role to be performed in the office). Interviews and onboarding are conducted virtually, a part of being a distributed-first company.
With a sufficient timezone overlap with the team, we're able to hire eligible candidates for this role from any location in Australia and/or New Zealand. If this sparks your interest, apply today and chat with our friendly Recruitment team further.
Atlassian is looking for a Senior Data Scientist in our newly formed Insights and Data Enablement team part of our Open Toolchain organisation. We're looking for someone with business instincts, creativity, analytics mastery, and great understanding of software engineering teams; someone who is passionate about applying these skills to help build data and insights features for our product to influence how our customers work.
You'll be part of the Insights and Data Enablement team where our mission is to unleash a new wave of team growth
through actionable data and insights for our customers at every level of the organisation. We care deeply about how our customers work and seek to build data and insights features to discover, improve and amplify our customers work and team health. As an emerging space, you will have leverage to change our business and influence the whole industry.
In This Role You Will Get To
- Draw on your expertise in understanding software development lifecycle and developer productivity to think about what are data and insights features that we should ship to our customers to influence the way they work
- Work with Product and Engineering Leaders in the Insights and Data Enablement team to identify opportunities they should add to their roadmap
- Build on our initial efforts to understand what drives successful team outcomes for our customers, utilise the data we have from our products to prototype product features to help our customers become more successful
- Promote a measurement culture and understand the impact of our strategy; including designing and analysing experiments and feature launches
- Envision, scope, and lead projects by collaborating with partners, software and data engineering leaders, and other data scientists
- Share your high-quality recommendations with multiple levels of leadership to guide impactful decisions
- Foster a world-class analytics culture, leading by example, through education and creation of self-service tools, to make a lasting change in how your partners use data to make decision
On Your First Day, We Expect You To Have
- Experience working with software and data engineering teams, an understanding of the software development lifecycle, what drives software team to succeed and exposure to typical software engineering tools (e.g. Jira, SCM, CI/CD systems).
- Experience working on prototyping and building data and insights product features
- Experience applying your analytics skills to identify and lead projects that have had proven impact on strategic and product roadmap decisions
- Expertise in SQL and proficiency in another data science programming language (e.g Python, R)
- An Agile development mindset, appreciating the benefit of constant iteration and improvement
- A very high bar for output quality, while balancing having something now vs. perfection in the future
- Proficiency in at least one visualisation tool (e.g. Tableau, R-Shiny, dash, Microstrategy)
- Comfort explaining complex concepts to diverse audiences (such as Product Managers, Designers), and creating compelling stories
- Project management and prioritisation experience; preferably with Data Engineering, Product Management, and Software Engineering teams
- Experience using statistics as part of your role
- A degree in a quantitative discipline (e.g. statistics, mathematics, physics, engineering, computer science, econometrics)
It's a bonus, but not required, if you have
- Previously worked in global teams and high-growth businesses
- Appreciation and understanding of industry metrics that track and measure developer productivity (e.g. Dora, Space metrics)
- Advanced degree (Masters, PhD) in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics or other STEM field
- An understanding of SaaS development, business model and metrics
- Experience building ETL pipelines using any tools or scripting languages
- Are an active member of the broader analytics and data science community
You will report to the Product Analytics Manager for Open Toolchain in the Product Data Science team. Product Data Science is an exciting, high growth and evolving space at Atlassian. Using our data science craft, we create insight that makes Atlassians' product decisions and products smarter. We deeply understand our products, customers, users and business strategies through close partnership with Atlassian's product R&D squads. We are a collaborative team of high achievers who love to explore, challenge and have a lot of fun along the way.
Our Perks & Benefits
To support you at work and play, our perks and benefits include ample time off, an annual education budget, paid volunteer days, and so much more.
The world’s best teams work better together with Atlassian. From medicine and space travel, to disaster response and pizza deliveries, Atlassian software products help teams all over the planet. At Atlassian, we're motivated by a common goal: to unleash the potential of every team .
We believe that the unique contributions of all Atlassians create our success. To ensure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience, we never discriminate based on race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
To learn more about our culture and hiring process, explore our Candidate Resource Hub .