Mapbox is the leading real-time location platform for a new generation of location-aware businesses. Mapbox is the only platform that equips organizations with the full set of tools to power the navigation of people, packages, and vehicles everywhere. More than 3.9 million registered developers have chosen Mapbox because of the platform’s flexibility, security, and privacy compliance. Organizations use Mapbox applications, data, SDKs, and APIs to create customized and immersive experiences that delight their customers.
What We Do
The Navigation department at Mapbox serves customers with use cases ranging from turn-by-turn navigation in electric vehicles to delivery route planning for fleets of thousands of trucks. Our services are often at the heart of the operations of our customers’ businesses, powering experiences and operations for customers like BMW, Toyota, Rivian, Instacart, and Strava.
Read about Mapbox Navigation on our blog: https://www.mapbox.com/navigation
The AI Navigation team is an innovative team integrating LLM models at the core of the navigation experience, and we are hiring Senior LLM Engineers to select, fine-tune, train, and deploy ML models and interactions that will shape the future of AI navigation.
What You'll Do
We are seeking a talented and highly motivated Senior LLM Engineer to join our AI Navigation team. The successful candidate will play a pivotal role in selecting and refining the ML models and interactions for our AI-powered navigation assistant, designed to provide drivers with an unparalleled in-vehicle experience.
You will work closely with cross-functional teams, including engineering, product, and design, to create and optimize the AI-driven interactions that will set Mapbox Navigation apart from other automotive AI solutions.
In This Role You Can Expect To
- Identify and fine-tune LLM models to optimize the performance of AI-powered Navigation assistants.
- Identify and fine-tune LLM models to run on edge devices to power offline experiences.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to identify, design, and implement innovative ML solutions for real-time navigation and user interaction.
- Analyze and preprocess auto and geospatial datasets to improve the accuracy and efficiency of AI Navigation's underlying algorithms.
- Work on using LLMs and tools like LangChain to build agent-based workflows.
- Deploy distributed training and inference pipelines.
- Collect and monitor technical and business metrics.
- Play a central role in discussing and implementing security best practices.
- Perform continuous model evaluation and validation to ensure high-quality predictions, while actively addressing any performance bottlenecks.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest advancements in ML and navigation technologies to drive innovation and maintain Mapbox Navigation's competitive edge.
- Participate in code reviews and provide mentorship to team members, fostering a culture of knowledge-sharing and continuous learning.
What We Believe Are Important Traits For This Role
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field, with a focus on ML, AI, or NLP.
- 4+ years of experience in one or more of the following areas: ML, NLP, NLU, or AI.
- Proficiency with our core ML and LLM tech stack: Python ecosystem, Embeddings, Tensorflow/Pytorch, Huggingface, Langchain, AWS (SageMaker, etc.).
- A deep understanding of LLM concepts, including prompt engineering, transformers, reinforcement learning from human feedback (RLHF), model fine-tuning, and embeddings.
- Strong problem-solving skills and a passion for developing innovative solutions in the field of navigation and machine learning.
- Excellent communication and collaboration abilities, allowing for seamless teamwork in a cross-functional environment.
- A growth mindset and a commitment to continuous learning, staying updated with the latest advancements in ML and navigation technologies.
- A passion for innovation and a keen interest in automotive technology and the future of AI in the automotive industry.
- Attention to detail and a dedication to maintaining high-quality standards in the development and deployment of AI Navigation.
- A strong sense of ownership and accountability, taking pride in the work and ensuring its alignment with the team's goals and objectives.
Nice to Have Traits for This Role
- Knowledge and experience working in the automotive industry.
- Previous experience building voice-powered apps, familiarity with ML models for wakeword, STT, and TTS subsystems.
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity