The world has changed. Why hasn't insurance?
Kin's mission is to reimagine home insurance For Every New Normal. While other insurers struggle to handle a fast-changing world, Kin is built for the future and is prepared to meet its challenges head on while helping our customers do the same.
Kin is proud to be one of BuiltIn Chicago's 2021 and 2022 Best Mid Sized Companies to work for, and Forbes 2021 Best Startup Employers in North America. Simply put, our people are what make us great, and we need forward-thinking, inspired game-changers like you to join us in our mission.
So, what's the role?
Data is central to Kin's operations and success. As a Senior Data Engineer, you will be part of a data management team that supports and enables our product, operations, analytics, and data science teams, amongst others. As we scale, you will be integral in how we manage, structure, and store our data, as well as develop new solutions related to data architecture and ETL pipelines.
A day in the life could include:
- Creating, designing, and maintaining ETL pipelines.
- Working with data science and BI teams to create data sets to be used in various projects.
- Taking on more advanced design and architectural decisions in the lifecycle of our data processing.
- Participating in daily stands and weekly retros.
- Collaborating with cross-functional team members.
- Providing subject matter expertise and support.
I've got the skills… but do I have the necessary ones?
- 5+ years of data engineering and/or dba experience
- Experience with the entire ETL pipeline: Data Integration tools, Databases, Big Data Platforms, and cloud based data platforms.
- Exposure to and support of data visualization tools, such as Looker.
- Experience in building from the ground up a modern next generation data warehouse platform.
- Advanced proficiency with SQL or PL/SQL optimization and development.
- Experience working with AWS-based Data Platforms is preferred.
- Deep understanding of data architecture as it relates to business goals and objectives.
- Strong scripting skills in one or more of the following: Bash, Python, and/or Ruby.
Oh, and don't worry, we've got you covered!
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance (including 100% employer-paid plans)
- Flexible PTO policy
- Very generous equity options and 401K
- Parental Leave
- Continuing education and professional development
- Disability and Life Insurance
- The excitement of joining a high-growth Insurtech company and seeing your work make an impact
In an industry that hasn't budged in more than 100 years, our technology transforms the user experience, cuts inefficiencies that waste billions of consumer dollars, and customizes coverage homeowners want. We believe insurance was always meant to be a digital product – we're making that a reality.
Our approach to the industry makes us unique, and the people at Kin help us excel. We're a team of problem solvers, collaborators, builders, and dreamers who are passionate about creating positive change in the lives of our customers and in our industry. Kin is more than just our name – it's how we treat each other. That's one of the many reasons we've been recognized as a great place to work by Built In, Forbes, and Fast Company.
Kin is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We don't just accept difference – we honor it, nurture it, and celebrate it. We don't discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Kin encourages applications from all backgrounds, communities and industries, and are committed to having a team that is made up of diverse skills, experiences and abilities.