Overview of Position
This position researches, compiles, analyzes, audits, and identifies data and patterns, and reports findings. In addition, the position provides professional level data analysis and technical support to district staff, and programs and processes, including project and program support. This role also creates reports for research and process improvement initiatives, as well as reports that are required by the state.Essential Functions60%
- Implements and creates database designs or programs.
- Provides technical assistance in the modification and operation of data collection and information processing systems to ease the understanding and delivery of data.
- Monitors staff responsible for data quality, ensures data entry and content ELL, of Migrant, Immigrant and, Refugee systems to assure regulatory compliance and to meet the needs of District policies, procedures and rules.
- Participates in the survey reports for use in program to ensure the data from these will help improve the department.
- Leads the preparation of special analysis and data, including major survey projects, prioritizes requests for information.
- Provides support to schools and district administration, as appropriate. Organizes schedules, orders materials, oversees and participates in executing state English Language Proficiency Assessment to over 6000 students.
- Supervises 15 to 20 testers for over 95 schools ensuring the district complies with the state demands.
- Performs data analysis for the purposes of improving instruction, staffing and the development of a Title III improvement plan or related to Title III AMAOs
- Works with City of Seattle, State Bilingual and Migrant personnel compliance reporting.
- Performs analysis and integration of data as required for reporting and ensures the accuracy of reported data is in compliance with State enrollment reporting limitations, and reconciliation.
- Works in conjunction with DOTs, and Enrollment and Planning to ensure data integrity.
- Maintains and updates data on the Sharepoint ELL site, as well as the ELL Internal and External District WEB sites, including information on International Programs, Migrant, Refugee, Translation and Interpretation sub-pages.
- Provides necessary data for the levy to schools and the City of Seattle for the Levy application.
- Provides immediate support to computer and network issues in the ELL and International Programs department so there is not an interruption of the work flow.
- Provides staffing allocation reports as needed to ensure students have been served.
- Generates reports of aggregated and student-level data for various requesters, including schools, central administrative staff, and other external requesters.
- Trains and supports division staff to prepare analysis and impact assessments of management issues.
- Provides data collection, input, retrieval, and interpretation support for other District offices, and staff, as assigned.
- Works closely with Enrollment and Planning to reconcile ELL data.
- Trains new staff members and school building staff in methods for data entry and report reconciliation on Power School to ensure data integrity.
- Provides training to parents and community members regarding how to access and understand data.
- Provides support to different departments as needed on translation and interpretation during the contract time.
- Coordinates data entry activities with assigned support staff.
- Manages data entry system and recommends and coordinates installation of new data entry procedures to ensure data integrity and on time delivery.
- Develops and prepares reports and recommendations for use by District administration, the Board, and external funding sources in support of management planning and decision-making.
- Conducts analysis of assessment data to show interrelationships of various assessments.
- Generates reports for schools that can be used to assist them in targeting students who have bilingual services and needs.
- Verifies that data entered into the system is appropriate and consistent.
- Performs quality assurance on the data entered into the system to ensure system accuracy and completeness.
- Utilizes enhanced system access to perform assigned tasks.
- Collaborates with professional development staff to provide research and evaluation support to better document and explain the factors that contribute to schools being successful in improving students' achievement levels.
- Works as a team leader on assigned projects to support various process.
- Works independently on assignments related to project work.
- Provides lead direction, reviewing work of assigned staff.
- Provides staff training, as needed.
- Assists in the selection and tester assignment.
- Assures integrity and accuracy of data and reporting in assigned areas.
- Leads the development and implementation of research projects and preparation of complex reports, including state reports.
- Performs statistical analysis.
- Ensures quality of output and dissemination to appropriate staff, providing correct data to the right people following FERPA rules.
- Performs audits of data for maintenance of records and report preparation, in compliance with state, bargaining contacts, and district guidelines.
- Researches and recommends efficiencies and improvements of data management.
- Assists division staff in planning and implementation of projects and programs.
- Analyzes and reports project activity outcomes and effectiveness to help in managing the program.
- Organizes and prepares data for analysis and computer input.
- Analyzes data output.
- Prepares graphs, tables and charts to aid in the ease of understanding of the data.
- Participates on the maintenance and update of the ELL Manual.
- Recommends methods and techniques for data gathering and planning processes in coordination with assigned staff.
- Develops, maintains and modifies documentation on procedures, processes and reports, defining and implementing process improvements as necessary.
- Acts as Community Liaison between stakeholders and SPS, to improve and maintain communication.
- Attends meetings and participates on committees as needed to support assigned projects and functional areas of responsibility.
- May perform related duties consistent with the scope and intent of the position.
Functional / Technical Skills
Possesses required functional and technical knowledge and skills to do his or her job at a high level of accomplishment; demonstrates active interest and ability to enhance and apply new functional skills.
- Understands the technical aspects of the job and keeps up-to-date on key technical or functional aspects of the job.
- Applies appropriate technical/functional knowledge to address situations in a timely manner.
- Thinks of ways to apply new developments to improve organizational performance.
- Shares expertise and skills with others when appropriate.
Quickly learns and integrates new technical skills and knowledge; seeks out avenues to enhance technical knowledge.
- Picks up and integrates technical skills quickly.
- Recognizes trends and effectively prepares for changes.
- Seeks out opportunities to advance one's learning in relevant technical disciplines.
Uses his or her time effectively and efficiently; concentrates his or her efforts on the most important priorities; adeptly handles several tasks at once.
Personal Learning & Development
- Focuses his/her efforts on the most important priorities.
- Uses time effectively and efficiently.
- Handles multiple-tasks effectively and efficiently.
- Values other people's time.
Is personally committed to and actively works to continuously improve him or herself; recognizes the need to change personal, interpersonal, and managerial behavior; actively seeks feedback.
Learning on the Fly
- Exhibits persistence and motivation to continuously improve one's skills
- Builds on strengths and addresses opportunities.
- Demonstrates an openness to learn from one's own mistakes.
- Seeks feedback from others and is receptive to new perspectives and idea
Learns quickly when facing new problems; analyzes both successes and failures for clues to improvement; experiments and will try anything to find solutions; enjoys the challenge of unfamiliar tasks.
- Shows willingness to learn new methods.
- Learns quickly when facing new problems and tries to understand the basis for change.
- Treats change and new situations as opportunities for learning and growth.
- Modifies behavior quickly to deal effectively with challenging or unfamiliar tasks
Generates many new and unique ideas; makes connections among previously unrelated notions, is unafraid to use unorthodox methods, is seen as original and value- added in brainstorming setting.
- Generates a lot of new and unique ideas.
- Brainstorms multiple and value-added solutions to problems.
- Draws from multiple resources and perspectives to come up with new ideas and approaches.
- Creates new and effective processes and systems.
Establishes clear directions; sets stretching goals and assigns responsibilities that bring out the best work from people; establishes a good work plan, and distributes the workload appropriately.
- Assigns work to others, adapting to the responsibilities, motivation and interest of each individual.
- Clearly communicates responsibilities including decision making authority, required actions and deadlines.
DISTRICT-WIDE CORE COMPETENCIES:Collaboration
- Provides appropriate support based on direct report's capabilities. Encourages two-way dialog to ensure success.
Develops cooperation and teamwork while participating in a group, working toward solutions which generally benefit all involved parties.
Getting Results (Action Oriented)
- Is seen as a team player who encourages efficient and effective collaborations.
- Works skillfully in difficult situations with both internal and external groups.
- Represents his/her own interests while being open-minded to other groups.
- Builds respectful and productive relationships internally and externally.
Performs work with energy and drive; values planning, but will take quick, decisive action when an opportunity presents itself.
Decision Quality & Problem Solving
- Demonstrates a strong sense of urgency about solving problems and getting work done.
- Focuses on achieving the goal even in the face of obstacles.
- Assumes responsibility for starting and finishing work with minimal supervision.
- Strives for new levels of performance.
Uses analysis, wisdom, experience and logical methods to make good decisions and solve difficult problems with effective solutions; appropriately incorporates multiple inputs to establish shared ownership and effective action.
- Weighs the consequences of options before making a decision.
- Applies appropriate criteria to situations for the purpose of making decisions.
- Displays self-confidence in own judgment.
- Focuses in the facts and solutions instead of opinions and problems.
Is widely trusted; is seen as a direct, truthful individual; presents truthful information in an appropriate and helpful manner; keeps confidences; admits mistakes; doesn't misrepresent him/herself for personal gain.
- Deals with people and situations in an honest and forthright manner.
- Represents information and data accurately and completely.
- Represents the confidentiality of information and concerns shared by others.
- Takes ownership if a mistake is their own and does not blame others.
Holds self and others accountable for measurable high-quality, timely and cost-effective results; determines objectives, sets priorities and delegates work; accepts responsibility for mistakes; complies with established control systems and rules.
- Takes responsibility and action as if the risks (financial or otherwise) are his or her own.
- Holds individuals and team accountable for their actions and results.
- Initiates action even if outcome is uncertain and is willing to accept the consequences of failure.
- Aligns own activities and priorities to meet broader organizational needs.
- Demonstrates courage and confidence in his or her own ability.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Typical QualificationsEXPERIENCE/EDUCATION:A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
- Information management in a computerized environment.
- Data analysis.
- Data Integrity and accuracy.
- Reporting methods and techniques.
- Visual Basic Language.
- Utilizing computerized database systems to produce requested reports.
- Microsoft Excel, Access, Visual Basic, Word, Publisher, Outlook, Adobe Acrobat.
- Network Administration knowledge.
- Interpersonal Communication.
- Customer Service.
- Use and recommend data analysis techniques.
- Coordinate database collective activities with other staff.
- Train staff in the use of data analysis techniques and methods.
- Plan and manage own workload.
- Maintain cooperative work environment.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Maintain confidentiality of information.
- Relate effectively with staff, and the public in a diverse community.
Two (2) years of research, evaluation, planning, or other information management and analysis work experience; five (5) years of research, evaluation, planning or other information management and analysis work experience is preferred; Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Education or related field that included research, analysis and computerized data collection course work; Master's Degree is preferred; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.Any equivalent combination of education, experience and training that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the work will be considered.CLEARANCES:
Criminal Justice fingerprinting and background check.