What we offer
- A flexible working environment (we work in a hybrid remote-office approach)
- Competitive compensation, including income protection insurance for full time, permanent employees.
- A dynamic and informal atmosphere where self-expression is encouraged.
- An inclusive and diverse group of colleagues
- On-going learning encouraged
- Monthly team lunches and team building events
- Opportunities to travel to, or work in, other teams located in Europe or the Americas
We are currently seeking a Team Lead with a Data Scientist background for a Brisbane-based team of Data Scientists and Software Engineers. The team is developing the compute backend of our Sense Pipelines product, which uses automated classification and feature detection models to support Fugro’s remote offshore survey operations.
On a typical day, you might
- Lead team planning discussions.
- Support your teammates through knowledge-sharing, pair programming, code review, and one-on-one catch-ups.
- Work with the Product Owner to understand and prioritise development based on to the needs of users and technical complexity.
- Liase with other teams to communicate your team’s needs or understand theirs.
- Explain technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders.
- Develop, test and deploy improvements to machine learning models for classification of sonar (point cloud) data and imagery of undersea structures collected by autonomous vessels.
- Use Julia, Python and Typescript languages and deploy and chain together modelling steps in the cloud using AWS technologies such as Lambda, SageMaker, and CloudFormation.
What we are looking for
- Previous leadership and/or mentoring experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- A passion for learning and developing new skills.
- A Masters or PhD degree in a technical field such as Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science or Engineering, or alternatively equivalent research experience in industry.
- An interest in applying machine learning algorithms to real-world engineering problems.
- Experience developing and/or maintaining complex software projects.
- Ability to pass pre-employment medical.
Fugro’s vision is to contribute to a safe and liveable world. We use planes, trains, cars, boats, submarines and robots to map and model natural and built environments to help business and government build, run and maintain infrastructure.
At the heart of our business is the complex flow of geo-data as it transitions from vehicle sensors through remote operations centre, data processing and modelling, and into the hands of our customers. In addition, large-scale infrastructure projects (e.g. constructing offshore windfarms) involve numerous vessels and survey types and challenge our ability to manage and integrate data efficiently.
How we work
We believe in autonomy and personal accountability. You are encouraged to lead your way and be responsible for making an impact, no matter how big or small. We provide a supportive culture and work environment with the goal of everybody feeling like they belong. We encourage all teams to have an open and high-trust culture with no such thing as a stupid idea. While we support remote work, we also value face-to-face interactions, whiteboard discussions and sharing a meal.
What we value
Fugro is a global company with highly diverse employees spread over 60 countries. The OneFugro community works because we respect each other as unique human beings, each with our own dreams, goals, beliefs, and preferences.
Fugro is committed to building a sustainable future, and we have strong growth for our services supporting renewable industries.
How to apply
Does this sound like you? Please click the ‘Apply” button blow. For a confidential discussion about the position, please contact Lyndsey McIntosh at Fugro via : AustraliaHR@fugro.com [link removed]
Fugro reserves the right to close this advert earlier than anticipated and applications or interest via recruitment agencies will not be accepted at this time.