At American Family Insurance, we believe people are an organization’s most valuable asset, and their ideas and experiences matter. From our CEO to our agency force, we’re committed to growing a diverse and inclusive culture that empowers innovation that will inspire, protect, and restore our customers’ dreams in ways never imagined.
American Family Insurance is driven by our customers and employees. That’s why we provide more than just a job – we provide opportunity. Whether you’re already part of our team in search of a new challenge or new to our company and ready for what’s next, you’re in the right place. Every dream is a journey that starts with a single step. Start your journey right here. Join our team. Bring your dreams.
R21667 Lead Data Scientist, eCommerce (Remote) (Open)
Compensation may vary based on the job level and your geographic work location.
Do you love discovering unique and actionable insights from big data? Are you interested in creating dynamic experiences to better the lives of small business owners? The data and insights our team provides, powers our omni-channel insureTech platform.
We are looking for a Lead Data Scientist, eCommerce to design and develop green field data science, machine learning, personalization and analytics innovations in the insurance technology industry. This role is responsible for prototyping, analysis, design, development, and delivery of the next generation insureTech real-time data analytics and personalization platform along with bringing best practices to the current business.
You will have the chance to work with an innovative team building cutting-edge experiences for our customers and partners. Together, we’ll shape not just our own solutions, but the direction of the industry.
- Analyze the problem through all data available to you including large scale operational, product and user experience data
- Define metrics and predictive models to address various problems including attribution, dynamic market segmentation, platform performance, A/B testing and experimentation, personalization, etc.
- Perform and utilize tools for multivariate statistical analysis to discover naturally occurring patterns in big data sets
- Prepare and transform data for training and analysis, building data processing pipelines to quickly iterate on research ideas
- Deliver high quality data visualizations used to monitor performance of products and platforms to make decisions and take action
- Create prototypes and requirements for our data engineering teams to productize after proving the concept and model
- Collaborate with our Digital Experience, Product, Engineering, Data Platform, and Operations teams
- Train, coach, and mentor other Data Scientists, Data Analysts, and Data Engineers while leading a team
- This position requires travel up to 10% of the time.
Education and Licenses
- Master’s or Ph.D in computer science, mathematics, statistics, economics, cognitive science, social or natural sciences or a related quantitative field
Specialized Knowledge & Skills Requirements
- Solid foundation in data structures, algorithms, object oriented or functional programming and design patterns
- Clear communication and presentation skills to share findings and techniques with executive leadership
- 5+ years of experience with structured data, such as JSON or XML
- 5+ years of experience with SQL and/or noSQL databases
- 3+ years of experience in the areas of machine learning, deep learning, information retrieval, natural language processing or data mining
- 3+ years of experience with different statistical modeling and data visualization tools or frameworks such as TensorFlow, Qualtrics, SAS, MatLab, Excel, Tableau
- Experience with multi-variate statistical calculations, affinity scoring techniques, time-series and graph data, working with subjective and objective data, and integrating data from multiple sources
- Experience using cloud native services and data sources such as AWS Cognito, Lambda, DynamoDB, Redshift, S3
- Excels in a fast-paced agile team embracing testing and learning, prototyping, failing fast, and collaboration
- Work well in teams, respecting and welcoming ideas from partners, stakeholders, and technical experts
- Strong customer focus, ownership, bias for action, and curiosity
Additional Job Information:
When you work at American Family you can expect benefits that support your physical, emotional, and financial wellbeing. You will have access to comprehensive medical, dental, vision and wellbeing benefits that enable you to take care of your health. We also offer a competitive 401(k) contribution, a pension plan, an annual incentive, and a paid-time off program. In addition, our student loan repayment program and paid-family leave are available to support our employees and their families. Interns and contingent workers are not eligible for American Family Enterprise benefits.
We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
Stay connected: Join Our Enterprise Talent Community !