Purpose of Job
We are seeking a talented Data Scientist for either our San Antonio, Phoenix, or Plano facility. This person may also work remotely in a 100% Remote Work Environment.
Uses advanced techniques that integrate traditional and non-traditional datasets to enable analytical solutions. Applies predictive analytics, machine learning, simulation, and optimization techniques to generate management insights and enable customer-facing applications; Builds analytical solutions leveraging internal and external applications to deliver value and create competitive advantage. Translates complex analytical and technical concepts to non-technical employees.
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every level.
USAA Careers – World Class Benefits (31 seconds)
- Identifies and manages existing and emerging risks that stem from business activities and the job role.
- Ensures risks associated with business activities are effectively identified, measured, monitored, and controlled.
- Follows written risk and compliance policies and procedures for business activities.
- Partners with business leaders across the organization to define business problems and research questions; serves as key resource and Subject Matter Expert (SME) on cross functional, matrixed teams to solve highly complex work critical to the organization.
- Builds large and complex information sets; Integrates and extracts relevant information from large amounts of both structured and unstructured data (internal and external) to enable analytical solutions.
- Conducts advanced analytics leveraging predictive modeling, machine learning, simulation, optimization and other techniques to deliver insights or develop analytical solutions to achieve business objectives.
- Serves as key resource and Subject Matter Expert (SME) on efforts to develop scalable, efficient, automated solutions for large scale data analyses, model development, model validation and model implementation.
- Works with IT to translate prototypes into new products, services, and features.
- Builds and maintains a robust library of reusable algorithms and supporting code, such that research efforts are based on the highest quality data, are transparently conducted, and can be productionized and are reproducible.
- Translates complex analytical and technical concepts to non-technical employees to enable understanding and drive informed business decisions.
- Maintains academic and industry relationships for the purposes of research; maintains expertise and awareness of cutting-edge techniques, technologies and potential business solutions.
- Master's degree in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Quantitative Economics, Statistics, or related field.
- 6 additional years of related experience beyond the minimum required may be substituted in lieu of a degree.
- 6 years of experience in predictive modeling, large data analysis and computer science.
- Experience in stochastic modeling, machine learning, and other advanced mathematical techniques (e.g., neural nets, simulation, graph analysis).
- Solid experience in at least one compiled language (e.g., Java, C or more or more) and one dynamic scripting language (Python, PERL, Ruby).
- Experience in data mining and statistical analysis.
- Excellent pattern recognition and predictive modeling skills.
- Knowledge and application of Data Science principals and experience with data science methodologies.
- Experience with the following statistical and predictive modeling approaches: Gaussian Process; Markov Models; Hierarchical Clustering; K-Means; Linear Regression; Logistic Regression; Monte Carlo Simulation; Neural Networks.
- Technical skills, consulting experience, and business savvy to interface with all levels and disciplines within our customers’ organization.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate ideas with team members and/or business leaders to convey and present very technical information to an audience that may have little or no understanding of technical concepts in data science.
When you apply for this position, you will be required to answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at a later time and you will not be able to change your responses.
- Proven ability to enrich (add new information to) data, advise on appropriate course(s) of action to take based on results, summarize complex technical analysis for non-technical executive audiences, succinctly present visualizations of high dimensional data, and explain & justify the results of the analysis conducted
- Highly competent at data wrangling and data engineering in SQL and SAS as well as advanced machine learning (ML) techniques using Python; comfortable in cloud computing environments (Azure, GCP, AWS)
- Hands-on experience developing products that utilize advanced machine learning techniques in areas such as boosting trees and random forest, computer vision, Natural Language Processing (NLP), Member interaction data, sensor data from the Internet of Things (IoT), and recommender systems; along with transitioning those solutions from the development environment into the production environment for full-time use, Fluent in deep learning frameworks and libraries (TensorFlow, Keras, PyTorch, etc)
- Experience in reinforcement learning, knowledge graphs and graph databases, Generative Adversarial Networks (GANs), semi-supervised learning, multi-task learning and experience to move to model into production
- The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
USAA has an effective process for assessing market data and establishing ranges to ensure we remain competitive. You are paid within the salary range based on your experience and market position. The salary range for this position is: $106,800 - $192,300* (this does not include geographic differential it may be applied based on your work location)
Employees may be eligible for pay incentives based on overall corporate and individual performance or at the discretion of the USAA Board of Directors.
- Geographical Differential: Geographic pay differential is additional pay provided to eligible employees working in locations where market pay levels are above the national average.
Shift premium: will be addressed on an individual basis for applicable roles that are consistently scheduled for non-core hours.
At USAA our employees enjoy best-in-class benefits to support their physical, financial, and emotional wellness. These benefits include comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, 401(k), pension, life insurance, parental benefits, adoption assistance, paid time off program with paid holidays plus 16 paid volunteer hours, and various wellness programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education assists employees with their professional goals.
Please click on the link below for more details.
USAA Total Rewards
Relocation assistance is available for this position.