Specific Team Context
We are the global Finance analytics team, located primarily in Houston, TX and Bangalore, India. We design, develop and deploy production solutions to facilitate various Finance, Accounting, Planning, and Business Operations inside of HP. Our team has a mixture of disciplines ranging from Statisticians, Economists, Finance, Engineers, Front-end, Back-end, and visualization developers. HP is currently going through enterprise-scale transformation initiatives that heavily relies upon a data-driven culture. Our current focus for the coming year will be heavily forecast-related. Our team is flexible, dynamic, hungry, and humble; we are excited to find like-minded individuals!
Generic Role Description
Applies advanced subject matter knowledge to solve complex business issues and is regarded as a subject matter expert. Frequently contributes to the development of new ideas and methods. Works on complex problems where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of multiple factors. Leads and/or provides expertise to functional project teams and may participate in cross-functional initiatives. Acts as an expert providing direction and guidance to process improvements and establishing policies. Frequently represents the organization to internal customers/clients. Exercises significant independent judgment within broadly defined policies and practices to determine best method for accomplishing work and achieving objectives. May provide mentoring and guidance to lower level employees.
- Mines data using modern tools and programming languages.
- Defines and implements models to uncover patterns and predictions creating business value and innovation.
- Manages relationships with business partners to evaluate and foster data driven innovation, provide domain-specific expertise in cross-organization projects/initiatives.
- Ties insights into effective visualizations communicating business value and innovation potential.
- Maintains proficiency within the data science domain by keeping up with technology and trend shifts. Contributes to industry data science domain initiatives.
- Contributes/Leads project team(s) of data science professionals, assuring insights are communicated regularly and effectively, reviewing designs, models and accuracy and data compliance.
- Collaborates and communicates with project team regarding project progress and issue resolution.
- Communicates and drives data insights/innovation into the business.
- Represents the data science team for all phases of larger and more-complex development projects.
- Provides guidance, training and mentoring to less experienced staff members.
Knowledge & Skills
- Extensive experience using statistics, mathematics, and ML algorithms
- Python & R for scripting
- Production-quality code
- Enterprise Github for version control and collaboration
- Databricks for pipeline dev/prod
- Cloud and on-prem mixture for train/test/deploy
- Parallel processing and distributed computing (enterprise-scale applications)
- Forecasting is especially relevant
- OOP and Functional Programming concepts
- Data structures
- Tabular data (data frames, data tables, transactional data)
- Lists, dictionaries, hierarchies, vectors, matrices, json, yaml, etc (as it relates to creating model and execution pipelines – clean coding!)
- Ability to define and create complex models that can be pushed to production
- Effectively and creatively form narratives and create visualizations to describe and communicate findings.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; mastery in English.
- Ability to effectively communicate data insights and negotiate options at senior management levels.
- Experience with Project Management, as you will be responsible for a portion of this
Scope & Impact
- Collaborates with peers, junior engineers, data scientists and project team.
- Typically interacts with high-level Individual Contributors, Managers, Directors, Senior Directors and Program Core Teams (High-Exposure Team).
- Leads multiple projects requiring data engineering and data science solution development.
- Drives design innovation across HP.
- This is a team that has growth opportunity and we are very interested in long-term people to grow at HP.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor's, Master's, or higher degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Economics, Physics, Computer Science, Quantitative Finance, or equivalent.
- Typically 6-10 years relevant experience
- Experience deploying and maintaining solutions in production
You’re out to reimagine and reinvent what’s possible—in your career as well as the world around you.
So are we. We love taking on tough challenges, disrupting the status quo, and creating what’s next. We’re in search of talented people who are inspired by big challenges, driven to learn and grow, and dedicated to making a meaningful difference.
HP is a technology company that operates in more than 170 countries around the world united in creating technology that makes life better for everyone, everywhere.
Our history: HP’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion – it's just who we are.
From the boardroom to factory floor, we create a culture where everyone is respected and where people can be themselves, while being a part of something bigger than themselves. We celebrate the notion that you can belong at HP and bring your authentic self to work each and every day. When you do that, you’re more innovative and that helps grow our bottom line. Come to HP and thrive!