This position will be located in our Winnipeg or Toronto office.Our organization:
Founded in 2017, Wellington-Altus Financial Inc. (Wellington-Altus) is the parent company to Wellington-Altus Private Counsel and Wellington-Altus Private Wealth —the top-rated* wealth advisory company in Canada and one of Canada's Best Managed Companies. With more than $20 billion in assets under administration and offices across the country, Wellington-Altus identifies with successful, entrepreneurial advisors and portfolio managers, and their high-net-worth clients.
- Investment Executive 2021 Brokerage Report Card
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Data Engineering, the Senior Data Engineer will have a company-wide view of the Data Engineering solutions that they build in this role, and they will consistently think in terms of automating or expanding the results company-wide.
The incumbent will have opportunity to help design and build our data application and infrastructure, while working with emerging technologies and associated AWS cloud services and influencing business intelligence solutions end-to-end: business requirements, workflow instrumentation, data modeling and ETL.
Additionally, the Senior Data Engineer will be an expert at designing, implementing, and operating stable, scalable, low-cost solutions to flow data from production systems into the data lake and into end-user facing applications. The incumbent will understand enterprise information systems, possess a strong business sense, and will lead a team to put these skills into action.
At Wellington-Altus, we’re proud to stand at the forefront of building out multi-platform solutions. The ideal candidate should be highly skilled in all aspects of Mobile solutions, including APIs, security and visualization.Key responsibilities include:
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Designing, building and maintaining data pipelines in collaborating with the design team.
- Designing and maintaining AWS data infrastructure and ETL processes based on industry standards and best practices.
- Designing architecture and migrating Microsoft/SQL data systems to AWS cloud.
- Designing data models and automating manual processes.
- Maintaining and enforcing quality and service standards, analyzing and resolving issues, identifying trends, and recommending improvements.
- Utilizing technical expertise and problem-solving passion to work closely with project teams, turning complex ideas into end-to-end solutions that transform our clients’ business.
- Contributing to the design, development and delivery of large-scale data for mobile adoption and transformation projects that delivers business value for clients.
- Conducting technical feasibility assessments and providing project estimates for the design and development of the solution.
- Providing technical inputs to agile processes, such as epic, story and task definition to resolve issues and remove barriers throughout the lifecycle of client engagements.
- Creating and maintaining multi-platform solutions including hybrid environments using tools such as AWS/ DevOps/ Visual Studio and Cloud service.
- Supporting team members in challenging situations (resource / release challenges, cross-team communication).
- Scheduling ad-hoc meetings to solve for disagreements or ambiguities in order to reduce risk of jeopardizing milestones and or artifacts.
- Fostering an environment that emphasizes trust, open communication, creative thinking, and cohesive team effort between project stakeholders.
- Scheduling and chairing scrum ceremonies.
- Conducting regular retros and addressing the team’s feedback.
- Understanding team strengths and weaknesses in order to improve each phase of the project lifecycle
- Mentoring and helping junior team members grow.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
Conditions of employment:
- A bachelor's degree in computer science, information management or equivalent experience in a related filed(s).
- A minimum of 5-7 years' experience with data infrastructure in AWS cloud.
- Prior experience and working knowledge of AWS stack such as S3, DMS, Glue, Lambda
- Demonstrable experience with one or more of SQL, R, Python, Spark.
- Experience in building logical and physical design of data, relational/non-relational databases such as Snowflake/Redshift.
- Experience with Kafka or AWS Kinesis is preferred.
- Experience handling streaming data.
- Experience in one of Databricks, DBT or CI/CD tools like Git, Jenkins is an asset.
- Knowledge of database systems; static data and real time.
- Advanced troubleshooting skills.
- Knowledge of one or more requirements analysis and problem decomposition techniques.
- Strong understanding of industry standards and standard business capabilities.
- Expert verbal & written communication skills; additionally, expert analytical, problem-solving, and influence skills.
- An expert ability to collaborate and act as part of a team, with a focus on cross-group collaboration.
- Expert data-driven decision-making skills.
- An ability to manage ambiguity.
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
- A background check, satisfactory to the employer, may be required of the successful applicant prior to commencing employment.
Wellington-Altus is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community and welcomes applications from women, racialized persons, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and genders. All qualified individuals who would contribute to the further diversification of our organization are encouraged to apply.
If you require accommodation for the recruitment process, please let us know at the point of application.To apply:
Click the Apply For This Job button to submit your resume, cover letter and salary expectations. You will be contacted if you are selected for an interview. More information about working at Wellington-Altus can be found on our website at www.wellington-altus.com.