We are a global architecture, engineering, planning, and technology firm defining the cities of tomorrow.
By connecting design and technology, we change how people experience their built environment. We work across disciplines to create the intelligent systems, sustainable buildings, and efficient infrastructure that shapes the way people live, move, learn, and heal.
With over 3,000 employees and 60+ offices around the world, we understand what it takes to work locally and scale globally.
At IBI, we’re defining the cities of tomorrow.
The Data Scientist is responsible for modeling complex enterprise scenarios, discovering enterprise insights and identifying opportunities in the use of statistical, algorithmic, mining and visualization techniques. In addition to advanced analytic skills, this role is also proficient at integrating and preparing large, varied datasets, architecting specialized database and computing environments, and communicating results in a way that is customized to the target audience.
This is an exciting role for someone seeking a challenging and dynamic role in enterprise analytics and an amazing opportunity to collaborate within IBI Group globally to creating a connected community and operation. Working in close collaboration across all IBI practices including buildings, land planning, infrastructure design and planning, transportation, and geomatics departments, the Data Scientist demonstrates the capability to convert data into critical information and knowledge that can be used to make sound decisions. The successful candidate possesses a combination of keen business consulting skills and a strong background in advanced analytical, problem solving and machine learning capabilities to quickly develop and validate through models.
Most Of The Things You'll Work On:
Key areas of work where you would be providing your expertise and supporting the growth of the Data Analytics Practice:
- Works in collaboration with all IBI Group business units and practices and external clients to discern and identify sources, develop data roadmap strategies and requirements, conduct analytical processes, and validates findings.
- Support in development of business strategies in collaboration with the IBI Group business and sector leads.
- Understands the broader objectives, while leading the smaller initiatives to drive the business initiatives and active business’ projects.
- Recommends and advises clients best practices on data collection, integration and retention requirements incorporating business requirements.
- Works directly with clients in developing innovative and effective approaches to solve analytical problems and communicates results and methodologies.
- Assists clients in developing experimental design approaches and models to validate findings or test hypotheses
- Identifies and leads the business development and strategy of analytics opportunities and how it could help generate business value, including proposals, technical reports, and presentations
- Lead and collaborate with subject matter experts to select and apply relevant analytic techniques and create actionable business insights.
- Leads presentations to senior management, communicates results to client and business teams, and develops plans to help operationalize analytic solution
- Establishes business metrics for the overall project to show improvements.
- Monitors and tracks performance decision systems and models (e.g. AI and statistical models)
- Participates in meetings with Senior leadership to show value and demonstrable outcomes
- Mentors and leads junior team members in data analytics methodology and coding best practices
You'll Need To Have:
- At least 4+ years of experience in data science and analysis; solving analytical problems using relevant quantitative and qualitative research and analytics experience, in related business areas. Experience in a business analyst capacity is helpful.
- Must have experience in leading business development strategy; identifying opportunities, leading proposals and bids, etc.
- Must have experience as a team lead or project lead
- Education: Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Engineering, or related field; Master’s Degree preferred
- Completion of a Data Science or Data Analytics program in addition to the above Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Experienced in manipulating and analyzing complex, high-volume, high-dimensionality data from varying sources (in-house and external open sources) is required
- Proficiency in statistical analysis, quantitative analytics, forecasting/predictive analytics, multivariate testing, and optimization algorithms and developing operational models
- Demonstrated ability in predictive analysis and deriving conclusions.
- Demonstrated ability to propose solutions to business problems by leveraging pattern detection over potentially large datasets
- Experience with data visualization and Business Intelligence tools such as PowerBI and Tableau
- Experience with business analysis and gathering stakeholder needs.
- Experience with Microsoft Azure AI platform
- Strong analytical programming skills in Python (Keras, PyTorch, Scikit-learn, Tensorflow, Weka, Spacy, Numpy, etc), data management (MS SQL, Oracle)
- Experience with statistical modelling tools such as SAS, SPSS, R
- Experience with mapping tools such as QGIS and Carto will be an asset
- Experience with UX/UI will be an asset
- Experience with web development (Django, Python, Java) will be an asset
- A strong passion for empirical research and for answering hard questions with data is required
- Ability to communicate complex quantitative analysis in a clear, precise, and actionable manner through technical writing and presentation
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal; strong presentation skills expected
- Ideally, this person will be able to work out of the Toronto office. However, we are flexible with having this person located anywhere within Canada (physically).
- Must be legally able to travel to the US
We are currently in a work from home model during COVID-19, but when we do return to the office we're located at 55 St. Clair Ave West, this office is steps away from St. Clair station and is easily accessible by bike, TTC and car. Occupying 7 floors, with over 700 employees, it is the largest office at IBI Group. The floors are open concept and represent our collaborative approach to projects.
IBI Group provides a competitive benefit package and pays association dues and licensing fees.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are proud to support the growth and equality of our people through initiatives like our Mentorship Program, Global Women’s Network, and Diversity & Inclusion Council. We welcome applications from all suitably qualified candidates regardless of age, race, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation. We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
As part of IBI Group's selection process, candidates may be requested to consent to background checks relevant to the role under consideration for, prior to receiving a job offer. These could include: work references, education and credential confirmation, employment verification, identity check, credit report, criminal offence and driver’s license record. Candidates will also need to confirm they are fully vaccinated in accordance with IBI Group’s mandatory vaccination policy in Canada. #ibi
We request applicants submit RESUME AND PORTFOLIO highlighting relevant work experience. Please limit PDF files to 10MB