Are you looking for a supportive, collaborative workplace with great teams and inspiring leaders? You’ve come to the right place. We’re looking for ambitious people who share our values and want to make every day better for people around the world. If this sounds like you, and the career below sounds exciting, we’d like to hear from you.
This position is accountable for performing statistical / machine learning model validation, assessing model’s risks and implementing controls to mitigate identified risks.
The data scientist acts in an oversight role to ensure that risks associated with model implementation/application have been outlined and mitigated, and that the model itself is properly designed and is in accordance with the model risk management policy and the overall risk management strategy. The successful candidate will document the process and the recommendations and communicate with the business and model owner throughout the engagement.Responsibilities
Measure & communicate analytic results & impact of analytics models
- Takes a leading role in the model validation in Group Advanced Analytics by developing the model validation and risk management framework
- Reviews documentation, meets with the business, model owner to ensure understanding of the business problem
- Assesses the data for model development, checks assumptions, inputs to the model and does in-depth analysis to identify potential issues,
- Independently develops benchmark model to assess whether submitted model behaviour is consistent with the documented specifications and intended use
- Compares validation results with model developer results for replicability.
- Ensure the transparency and interpretability of the models by keeping current with new research and methodologies that can explain black box models
- Ensure that proper and adequate model documentation (using model inventory template) and model risk mitigation processes are in place in order to appropriately assess and mitigate model risk.
- Keeps informed of current practices and research in statistical and machine learning modelling techniques and risk management by reading academic literature, attending academic and practitioner workshops and conferences.
- Provides technical advice and guidance to assigned business/group on implementation of the model validation framework, and resolution of model risk issues.
- Develops and maintains in-depth knowledge of business and related model validation/risk management requirements and regulatory guidelines
- Builds effective relationships with internal/external stakeholders.
- Ensures that business units understand that the model submission process involves preparing adequate model documentation to enable an appropriate model review
- Participate in ad-hoc projects
What motivates you?
- Implement measurement & documentation framework against all project work
- Generate insights in such a way that the businesses can clearly understand the quantifiable value. Enable the business to make clear trade-offs between and among choices, with a reasonable view into the most likely outcomes of each.
- Turn statistical and computational analysis into user-friendly graphs, charts, and animation. Enable those who aren’t professional data analysts to effectively interpret data. Ability to communicate results and educate others through reports and presentations
- Provide thought leadership around analytics methodology, tools, and measurement
What We Are Looking For
- You obsess about customers, listen, engage and act for their benefit.
- You think big, with curiosity to discover ways to use your agile approach and enable business outcomes.
- You thrive in teams and enjoy getting things done together.
- You take ownership and build solutions, focusing on what matters.
- You do what is right, work with integrity and speak up.
- You share your humanity, helping us build a diverse and inclusive work environment for everyone.
What can we offer you?
- Advanced degree in Statistics, Math, Comp Sci, Engineering or other related discipline (post-grad preferred)
- Minimum of 5 years' experience specifically in building statistical/ machine learning models, data analysis and data mining
- Experience with model risk management practices, model life cycle.
- In-depth knowledge & experience with risk policy frameworks; quality control / testing frameworks.
- Experience with Natural Language Processing, unstructured data, use of APIs
- Proficient in either Python, R, SAS, SQL with working knowledge of the others
- Demonstrated data transformation & manipulation experience
- Track record of delivering innovative analytical insights to lines of businesses
- Model validation experience is preferred
- Experience with Big Data platforms
- Experience with GitLab
- Strong commitment to organizational success and team work
- Adaptable and open to change with strong collaboration and communication skills
- Insurance/Financial Services experience desired
Our commitment to you
- A competitive salary and benefits packages.
- A growth trajectory that extends upward and outward, encouraging you to follow your passions and learn new skills.
- A focus on growing your career path with us.
- Flexible work policies and strong work-life balance.
- Professional development and leadership opportunities.
Every career at Manulife/John Hancock provides the opportunity to learn new skills and move your career forward. Ready to make an impact somewhere? What are you waiting for? Apply today.
- Values-first culture We lead with our Values every day and bring them to life together.
- Boundless opportunity We create opportunities to learn and grow at every stage of your career.
- Continuous innovation We invite you to help redefine the future of financial services.
- Delivering the promise of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion We foster an inclusive workplace where everyone thrives.
- Championing Corporate Citizenship We build a business that benefits all stakeholders and has a positive social and environmental impact.
About John Hancock And Manulife
John Hancock is a unit of Manulife Financial Corporation, a leading international financial services group that helps people make their decisions easier and lives better. We operate primarily as John Hancock in the United States, and Manulife globally, including Canada, Asia and Europe. We provide financial advice, insurance and wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. Assets under management and administration by Manulife and its subsidiaries were CAD$1.3 trillion (US$1.1 trillion) as of June 30, 2021. Manulife Financial Corporation trades as MFC on the TSX, NYSE, and PSE, and under 945 on the SEHK. Manulife can be found at manulife.com.
One of the largest life insurers in the United States, John Hancock supports more than 10 million Americans with a broad range of financial products, including life insurance, annuities, investments, 401(k) plans, and education savings plans. Additional information about John Hancock may be found at johnhancock.com.Manulife is an Equal Opportunity Employer
At Manulife/John Hancock, we embrace our diversity. We strive to attract, develop and retain a workforce that is as diverse as the customers we serve and to foster an inclusive work environment that embraces the strength of cultures and individuals. We are committed to fair recruitment, retention, advancement and compensation, and we administer all of our practices and programs without discrimination on the basis of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, religion or religious beliefs, creed, sex (including pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions), sexual orientation, genetic characteristics, veteran status, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, family status, disability, or any other ground protected by applicable law.
It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will work with applicants who request a reasonable accommodation during the application process. All information shared during the accommodation request process will be stored and used in a manner that is consistent with applicable laws and Manulife/John Hancock policies. To request a reasonable accommodation in the application process, contact email@example.com.