You are a driven and motivated problem solver ready to pursue meaningful work. You strive to make an impact every day & not only at work, but in your personal life and community too. If that sounds like you, then you've landed in the right place.
The Hartford’s Personal Lines Business Intelligence (PLBI) team is seeking a Senior Data Engineer to support the data needs of the analytical modeling teams. As a member of PLBI supporting the Data Science teams this individual will provide data, business, and technical support to assist in developing and deploying models and analysis, creating analytical assets and helping better understand the Personal Lines business.
This position combines business and technical skills involving interaction with business customers, Data Science staff, internal and external data suppliers, Information Technology experts, and a wide variety of Hartford personnel at all levels in support of quantitative research, predictive modeling, operational business intelligence, and data mining projects for Personal Lines.
A key function of this role will be to work with 3PD partners to ingest their data returned as part of a Proof of Concept or build-out of a new process. The successful candidate will work with the Data Science team on new sources which are tested for predictive power as part of discovery projects.
This role will report into PLBI leadership while having a matrixed reporting relationship to the Data Science AVP. This new hybrid position will play a critical role in enabling data scientists to more effectively create predictive models, and introduce the successful candidate to both the line of business and the data science function.
- Identifying, developing and delivering the data preparation to utilize internal and external data
- Analyzing data sources for availability and quality
- Identifying areas of opportunity to improve or enhance existing data processes
- Feature engineering for the purpose of improving predictive model performance and running some predictive models
- Put in practice well developed data analysis techniques with the ability to apply these practically and appropriately to help solve complex issues.
- Work closely with external and internal data suppliers throughout The Hartford in analyzing data sources, being a subject matter data expert, defining business requirements, providing data, and assisting in high level data analysis.
- Relate the data to the business processes that generates it and the communication skills to disseminate information regarding the availability, quality, and other characteristics of the data to a diverse audience.
- Perform data asset adoption activities, with internal and external customers, including presentations to all levels of management, training, use case development, and consulting activities.
- Translation of model output to production ready tables, factors, or objects.
- Act as a liaison and SME between business and IT resources.
- Perform cost benefit analyses of concepts and solutions to drive prioritization
- Effectively communicate project status to customers of all levels, across a variety of cross functional areas.
- Interact with other business intelligence/data management teams across the enterprise to share knowledge, driving continual improvement to our data structures, tools, process, and team.
- Coordinate with others across the Enterprise to identify alternate data sources and tools that may help bring valuable information to customers.
- Bachelor’s Degree in one of the following: Computer Science, MIS, Economics, Statistics, Finance, or related field or comparable work experience.
- Candidates must have the technical skills to transform, manipulate and store data, the analytical skills to relate the data to the business processes that generates it and the communication skills to disseminate information regarding the availability, quality, and other characteristics of the data to a diverse audience.
- Candidates required to have good understanding of OOPS to design reusable libraries/components.
- Ability to extract factors from model output and create input for other applications.
- Strong knowledge of data modeling, dimensional database structure and database design for operational as well as analytical systems.
- Experience accessing and retrieving structured and unstructured data from large data sources
- Ability to analyze source systems and provide business solutions
- Knowledge of version and revision control practices and procedures such as Github
- Self-starter with a willingness to become a data expert and to learn new skills
- Results oriented with the ability to multi-task and adjust priorities when necessary
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment with internal /external customers
- Determine business solutions and translate into actionable steps
- Ability to articulate and train technical concepts to a non-technical audience
- Knowledge of Agile project management
- Insurance or Financial Services background a plus
Preferred Skill Set:
- Python – Advanced, Experience with NumPy, Panda, Scikitlearn, matplotlib, seaborn packages.
- AWS Cloud tools – EC2, EMR, Snowflake
- Spark 2.0 and above - Advanced
- Advanced SQL
- Hadoop, HIVE
- Unix Shell scripting – intermediate
- Autosys – nice to have
- R – nice to have
- Thoughspot– nice to have
Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity or Expression/Religion/Age
Sr Data Engineer - GE07BE