Do you want to be part of a team helping to strengthen every community across Ontario? Are you interested in seeing the importance of your work firsthand?
Become a Senior Data Scientist with MPAC
The Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) is made up of a team of experts who understand local communities and assess every property in Ontario. What we do provides the very foundation that municipalities use to base the property taxes needed to pay for the services we use every day.
Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Anti-Racism
MPAC is committed to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Anti-Racism. We take important steps towards ensuring that all voices are respected, valued and being heard. MPAC is dedicated to fostering an environment where employees can bring their full, unique and authentic selves and are inspired to do their best work.
What makes you great for this role?
You are a leader with strong communication skills who can provide senior level technical expertise in the design, development, deployment, and management of MPAC’s valuation systems and data network within corporate architecture framework.
- A team of highly skilled, dedicated and collaborative staff to work with
- Leadership that supports you
- An enterprise that embraces change
- A work environment that has flexible work locations (including remote), hours of work and overall employee wellness support
- Completion of post-secondary education in a related field
- At least 7 years of progressively responsible combined experience in all of the following areas: computer assisted mass appraisal and valuation; multiple regression and statistical analysis; data analytics and computer programming
- Knowledge and experience in the application of various valuation tools including data collection manuals, corporate databases and valuation systems, multiple regression analysis, spatial analysis, MPAC policy and procedures, and proficiency in statistical and spatial software programs (e.g. SPSS, R, QGIS, ArcView)
- Advanced knowledge of assessment legislation, appraisal theory and assessment practices
- In-depth understanding of ad valorem appraisal techniques and theory on the approaches to value
- Effective research, analytical and problem solving skills to undertake comprehensive market analysis associated with mass appraisal analytics
- Fluency in statistical programming languages (R, Python, etc.), at least one general programming or scripting language (Java, C, C++, etc.), databases including SQL and NoSQL
- Excellent verbal, written communication and interpersonal skills to articulate, visualize, report, and present key findings, and represent the corporation as a provincial witness
What you will do:
- Provide senior level technical expertise in the design, development, deployment and management of MPAC’s valuation systems and data network within corporate architecture framework
- Act as a subject matter expert and provide advice to management to leverage emerging technologies to improve mass appraisal processes and the accuracy and consistency of property valuations
- Develop valuation parameters using industry standard computer assisted mass appraisal (CAMA) techniques applying all standard approaches to value for assignment market areas and property types
- Oversee, develop and maintain programming code (e.g., SPSS, R, Python) to document analysis, maintain and create analytical data and associated output files
- Lead and oversee research initiatives to improve and enhance existing valuation systems and data, leveraging open source technologies and advanced spatial and mass appraisal analytics
- Write high quality and well-documented code following best practices and create prototypes or proof-of-concept efforts, ensuring that quality attributes (performance, scalability, extensibility) are met
- Design and implement machine-learning algorithms to enhance data mining capabilities and improve data quality
- Analyze and design solutions to meet corporate valuation needs and develop vision for data/analytics architecture and workflow across the company
Ready to apply?
Click on the URL provided, followed by the “Apply Now” icon once within the posting. Create your candidate profile and upload your resume and cover letter by November 29, 2022. Please note, only applications submitted through the Applicant Tracking System will be accepted.
Successful candidates will be required to undergo a background verification with Mintz Global Screening. By applying to this job posting, you are providing your consent to MPAC to share your name, email address and phone number with Mintz, to conduct the criminal and driver abstract check and for Mintz to disclose the results to MPAC, should you be the successful incumbent.
MPAC is committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible environment where all employees and members of the public feel valued, respected and supported. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflect the diversity of the public and communities we serve.
Persons with disability who need accommodation in the application process or those needing job postings in an alternative format may email their request to email@example.com.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Job advertisements for positions that have been designated bilingual will be posted in both English and French on our website. Positions that are not designated bilingual are not translated and are only posted in English on the English version of our website.