EPFL, the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne, is one of the most dynamic university campuses in Europe and ranks among the top 20 universities worldwide. The EPFL employs more than 6,000 people supporting the three main missions of the institutions: education, research and innovation. The EPFL campus offers an exceptional working environment at the heart of a community of more than 16,000 people, including over 12,000 students and 4,000 researchers from more than 120 different countries.
The Swiss data science Center (SDSC) is a joint venture between EPFL and ETH Zürich. We have been mandated by the Swiss Confederation to accelerate the adoption of data science in academia and industry. SDSC resources are split between EPFL and ETH Zürich. The team is very international and composed of data scientists passionate about solving data related challenges, and computer scientists enthusiastically developing RENKU, an open access software solution aiming to make data science collaborative and sustainable.
Data Scientist – Industry Projects (W/M)
Your mission :
You will work on solving challenges with our industry partners. You will be involved in all aspects of a data science research project, from business understanding to proof of concepts and communication of achievements.
You will design and test machine learning systems to solve industry challenges. Presenting data science results to a non-technical audience will also be part of your activities.
During your work, you will have the opportunity to be coached by data scientists with an academic background as well as industry experts.
When dealing with data engineering aspects, you will have the opportunity to collaborate with our system specialists.
The academic environment will allow you to grow your machine learning and statistics skills thanks to trainings.
Main duties and responsibilities include :
- Meet customers to understand their business needs
- Design specific data science solutions to solve selected problems
- Code and test the proposed solution (PoC)
- Communicate results to stakeholders
- Provide final reports of the work done and related results
Your profile :
Are you passionate about data science, familiar with Machine Learning and keen to deepen your experience on the topic?
Are you willing to solve industry challenges while being coached by experienced data scientists?
Would you love to work in a startup-like mind-set, but think that collaborating with an academic structure is a definite plus?
Are you eager to be part of a diverse and adaptable team with growth opportunities of its members at its core?
If you can answer yes to these questions, you should consider joining us.
Together we could help move the Swiss Industry to the next level of data science.
We are building a team of passionate data scientists to tackle business challenges and provide actionable results.
We are a looking for candidates with the following profile:
- Master degree in Computer Science, Mathematics or similar field
- Ability to present results to different audiences
- Knowledge of machine learning concepts
- Programming skills in R, Python or a similar language
- Team spirit and open to collaborative work
- Fluent in English (French/German is an asset)
- 1-3 year data science experience within Industry is a plus
- Knowledge of Big Data frameworks is appreciated
- Willingness to learn new concepts and methods
- Willingness to contribute to an inclusive environment
We offer :
- A stimulating, startup-like, cross-disciplinary environment in a leading university
- Opportunities for turning academic research into impactful solutions
- Excellent ties to research groups worldwide, both academic and industrial
- Access to state-of-the-art infrastructure and resources
Start date :
October 1st, 2021
Term of employment :
Work rate :
We look forward to receiving your online application including cover letter, CV and diploma(s). Please note that we exclusively accept applications submitted through our online application portal. Applications via email or postal services will not be considered.
For further information about the Swiss Data Science Center please visit our website www.datascience.ch.
Questions regarding the position should be directed to Ms. Mylène Tressens by email email@example.com
Only candidates who applied through EPFL website or our partner Jobup’s website will be considered. Files sent by agencies without a mandate will not be taken into account.