Artsy’s mission is to expand the art market to support more artists and art in the world. Artsy has created the world’s largest two-sided art marketplace, offering more than 1 million works by 100,000 artists from 4,000 leading galleries, fairs, auction houses, and institutions in more than 100 countries.
We are looking for either a mid-level or senior Data Engineer to join the team. You will help develop the analytics and machine learning pipelines that support Artsy’s business operations and product features. This can involve challenges in data warehousing, orchestration, and infrastructure. Data has always been core to Artsy’s marketplace, and this role will be responsible for shaping the data platform, practices, and workflows needed to enable our product teams to use data in our products.
Data Platform is a workstream within Artsy's Core Platform team that enables other product teams to develop data-driven products quickly. The team manages all our ETL pipelines, ensuring acceptable reliability and data quality standards are met.
Our data platform relies on AWS for cloud infrastructure, Airflow for orchestration, DBT for data modeling, Spark for data processing, and Redshift for warehousing. We integrate with services like Segment and Looker, and are continuously evaluating new patterns, tools, and technologies.
The Core Platform team is technically diverse, with team members working on infrastructure, security, and development tooling. We release continuously and test often with a focus on monitoring and observability.
As a Data Engineer, you’ll architect systems for scale, focusing on data quality and platform reliability. You will influence the direction of our data platform roadmap, including our analytics pipelines and personalization features. You’ll help structure our data, so it’s an invaluable asset in our dynamic business environment.What You’ll Do
Who You Are
- Implement pipelines that extract, transform and load data for product, analytics and operations use cases.
- Develop the tooling that enables our product engineers to enrich and transform the data needed to power our product features.
- Identify best practices for data modeling by working closely with our analytics team on performance tuning, data quality, and reliability.
- Collaborate with product teams to develop machine learning workflows that scale.
What We Offer
- Data expertise from an eCommerce or marketplace environment in platform teams will be a benefit as you translate your experience to working at Artsy.
- You’ve worked on data processing or enrichment at a large scale, and are familiar with Python, DBT, Airflow, or similar tools.
- You have some familiarity with the Hadoop ecosystem (e.g. PySpark, Parquet).
- You have experience with cloud-based deployment environments, using tools like Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform, or equivalent.
- You understand best practices in data modelling and warehousing.
- You value collaboration within teams, and you have experience building relationships with a diverse set of stakeholders.
- You have 3+ years of experience working in an agile environment.
- You are currently authorized to live and work in Berlin.
- Must be currently located in Berlin – this is a hybrid role.
About Artsy Engineering
- Opportunity to reimagine the art industry while working with a talented, diverse, international team.
- Competitive salary and equity
- Flexible time off: our culture of trust and empowerment allows employees to take the time they need away from work while still excelling in their roles
- We are a global hybrid team: most employees work from home several days per week and come into our NYC, London, or Berlin offices flexibly based on team or role needs (in-person recommendations, and location will vary by role)
- Benefit options, including: German language subscription, global travel insurance, mental health resources, fitness and virtual workout resources, fertility and parenthood support, standard pension & healthcare enrolment, parental and medical paid leave, and more
- Professional development, including: mentoring, lunch & learns, regular training, 1:1 management, and an open feedback culture
- Engaging opportunities and internal programming globally, to foster new relationships and build upon our collaborative community. Including: happy hours, holiday parties, global All Hands meetings, Artsy Salon (a yearly exhibition of our team's creativity), attendance to art world events, and more
Artsy's engineering principles are open source. We encourage knowledge building and sharing within the larger tech community through open source software, blog posts, and other free resources. Artsy would rather proudly discover (and improve) an existing tool than build it ourselves from scratch. Through our work, we try to create more value than we capture. That means that when we learn something new, we try to share that knowledge through blog posts and open source documentation. A successful candidate will bring their own unique perspective to help us achieve this mission.Artsy is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, disability, and veteran status.
Artsy has five core values that will inform your experience at Artsy.
For the Love of Art:
We have relentless curiosity, empathy, and passion for collectors, artists, and the art market. We are here to make the art world more fair and welcoming.Own Our Outcomes:
We are all individual owners of Artsy’s shared success. We are resourceful and resilient, and to get the job done, we each take responsibility for our outcomes.Lead with Openness:
We trust in our teammates. We seek diverse perspectives, communicate authentically, and act with integrity. A more open art world starts with us.Transform Together:
Our mission asks us to challenge the status quo. We embrace feedback, learning, and change so that we can transform our industry, our company, and ourselves.Impact Over Perfection:
Using both art and science, we debate and decide swiftly and iterate on our plans as we learn. To make the biggest impact, we prioritize speed and clarity of action over perfection.