Merchant Growth is one of Canada’s leading fintech providers of credit to small businesses. The Company differentiates itself through proprietary, technology-driven application, underwriting, and servicing processes. Our mission is to bring the most convenient & accessible financing experience to Canadian business owners. The company is seeking a high-performing and motivated full-time Senior Data Scientist. This is an excellent opportunity to step into a leadership role and bring innovative data-driven solutions to the team.
As a leader of the Data Science team, you will be a capable and driven individual with the ability to advance the analytics, data engineering and machine learning efforts across the company. In this role, you will be working under the direct supervision of the Chief Risk Officer, Peleg Bartfeld.
- Designing, building, deploying, and maintaining statistical models, data projects, data analyses, and reports that support business operations, particularly credit risk adjudication and automated underwriting.
- Developing and applying principles of machine learning to enhance existing data models.
- Detailed documentation of project analysis, methodologies, and findings.
- Supporting team members with technical knowledge and validation, including ensuring coding quality and best practices in deployment.
- Collaborating with credit, risk and technology functions in design and implementation.
- Consult with key internal stakeholders to ensure organizational research needs are met and all data collection and analytics efforts are streamlined and optimized.
- Outlining and leading the technological development of the organization’s data science function.
- Apply statistical and data science methods stored in a variety of internal and external data stores to generate actionable insights to help meet the changing business needs and drive the decision-making process.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience in BI or Analytics.
- Technical bachelor’s degree or certification in Mathematics, Computer Science, Statistics, Physics or similar.
- Detailed knowledge of statistical methods.
- Experience in statistical or machine learning model design.
- Experience with R and BI tools such as Power BI.
- Experience with machine learning-related open-source libraries including Pandas and Scikit-Learn.
- Extensive experience working in data pipelines, data warehouse, data analytics, data science, machine learning, data visualization and business intelligence
- High proficiency at programming in Python.
- High proficiency in writing SQL queries.
- Demonstrated extensive experience ideating, designing, building, applying, and automating mathematical models and data science methods, statistical analyses, predictive analytics, and modeling, to provide repeatable solutions.
- Ability to translate business needs to analytic requirements and interpret the results of complex data analysis and communicate them to broad audiences.
- Proven ability to manage data insights and analytics, including enterprise dashboards and support the creation of functional dashboards in partnership with business functions.
- Experience in developing, maintaining, and deploying a credit risk adjudication system
- Proficient in Docker and Github
- Financial Industry experience
- Working knowledge of Project Management and Business Analysis
- Experience with agile methodologies
- A passion for solving complex system and data challenges and desire to thrive in a constantly innovating and changing environment
- Supervise data scientists or data analysts in the future
- Strong programming skills in Python
- Strong SQL skills
- Reasonable understanding of the principles of machine learning
- Experience in building, deploying, and maintaining a machine learning system
- Able to work on projects independently
What we offer:
- A remote workplace with an option to work in the office
- Competitive Salary
- Comprehensive Group Health Benefits (Life, AD&D, Extended Health & Dental and Travel Insurance)
- Company-wide Lunch and Learns
- Monthly Team Events
- A Collaborative Team Environment
- On-site Fitness Facility
- Education and Learning Benefits
- Flexible Work Schedule
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only selected candidates for further consideration will be contacted.