Thomas International are a leading global provider of psychometric assessments. We are entering an exciting period of accelerated growth due to the recent launch of our market leading Assessment Platform. Central to that is our ability to leverage data to better understand our product, our customers, and ourselves as a business.
We are a growing Science team focused on combining data science, psychology, and analytics with an experimental mindset to deliver a best-in-class experience for our customers. The Assistant Data Scientist will be a role that combines a curiosity for solving complex problems with a passion for data, analytics, and experimentation.
If you are interested in solving problems, using experiments to challenge the status quo, and using data to answer complex questions and challenges, then the Science team at Thomas International could be a great fit for you. Our ideal candidate is someone that loves to explore product insights and is deeply curious, has an interest in experimentation, metric & data creation, and data visualization skills as well as possess excellent communication skills to interface between technical and product teams!
Analysis and Prediction
A core aspect of this role will be applying data science principles, product insight, and creativity to continuously evolve how we deliver value through our existing features. This role will be engaging for you if you enjoy using data and analytics to solve problems for businesses, including:
- Creating insights based in data and experimenting with cutting-edge data science techniques.
- Combining your problem solving and curiosity to tackle ambiguously defined problems, developing hypotheses and tests to help drive decisions and product strategy.
- Running experiments and tests to help improve the value we are delivering to our customers.
Visualisation and Communication of Insights
Data Scientists will drive innovation for how we can use data to have tangible, actionable impacts in our business. You will thrive in this role if you enjoy distilling complex ideas and insights into easy-to-interpret visualisations and actions for others in the business. Specifically, you will be expected to:
- Communicating insights and recommendations from your analysis to both technical and customer-facing audiences.
- Performing analytics to create actionable insights that contribute to the understanding of our product, business, and customer behaviour.
Data Scientists run data analytics projects with businesses to show the impact of assessments and to curate valuable datasets that can inform our product development, go-to-market strategies, and interventions to boost customer satisfaction. In this role, you will be:
- Managing large data sets, writing and editing analytics process, extracting data from databases with SQL or RStudio, and adhering to data compliance standards.
- Working collaboratively with other data-passionate people across the business.
- Helping work with other parts of the business to define, analyse, and predict metrics for success.
There will often be multiple projects running simultaneously at different stages of the data science, product development, or research lifecycle. A key part of this role will be:
- Planning and tracking the progress of experiments, data analyses and research collaborations.
- Building relationships and managing stakeholders within the Science team and across the Product & Technology group.
- Demonstrable experience of applying analytics or quantitative techniques in previous roles.
- Degree in Data Science, computer science, statistics, economics, mathematics, or an applied quantitative field (e.g. Psychology).
- Analysis via a statistical language; e.g. R, Python, Octave etc.
- Knowledge of statistical methods (e.g. correlation, regression, ANOVA, SEM)
- Holiday – 20 days per annum, plus the opportunity to purchase up to an extra 5 days per annum through the salary sacrifice holiday buy scheme (plus an extra day off for moving house!)
- Early Friday Finish – Finish at 15:00 during the 3 Summer Months (November, December, January)
Assumed to be remote based, but with flexibility (including country in some circumstances) re hybrid working principles (Please see below). Can be based primarily remotely, but with ability to attend the office (Menlyn) if preferred. We require this person to hold the right to work in the country which they will be working in. Please note that we do not offer any visa sponsorship or support towards relocation.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion permeates throughout everything we do, from our products to our people.