This position is responsible for the design, specifications, coding, testing, implementation, maintenance, documentation, debugging, and troubleshooting of data warehouse solutions. Its work includes analyzing source system data, designing dimensional data models, developing ETLs, and creating data visualization products such as reports and dashboards. The position plays a critical role in requirement gathering, project plan planning, technical architecture design, go-live implementation, and ongoing system support. In addition to these duties, the position is required to perform any other tasks assigned to support the department’s function.
A data engineer is responsible for designing, developing, testing, documenting, and maintaining data warehouse and analytics architecture to meet UCSF’s data and analytics needs.
- Collaborate with business and technology partners to gather business requirements and create architectural designs.
- Use business domain knowledge to profile data and determine the best approaches to extract data into data warehouses.
- Apply the Kimball dimensional data modeling technique to build and enhance the enterprise data warehouse.
- Design, develop, test, document, and support new and existing ETL processes using Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), Microsoft Azure Data Factory, IBM InfoSphere DataStage, or other tools.
- Demonstrate proficiency in SQL programming and performance tuning.
- Develop business intelligence products, such as reports and dashboards, using Tableau or other data visualization tools.
- Document business rules and metadata in the data dictionary and keep the information updated.
- Possess excellent communication skills and the ability to articulate system designs and patterns to varying levels of leadership.
- Participate in project planning, including scoping backlogs and determining estimates.
- Assume on-call duties to support the operation of reporting and analytics systems.
- Maintain appropriate business domain knowledge in healthcare, education, research, finance, or business administration.
The mission of the Enterprise Information and Analytics (EIA) department is to advance UCSF’s institutional priorities by enhancing access to and the use of data and analytics, including appropriate data platforms and data governance, in a manner that meets the unique needs across the education, research, and care mission areas. The department archives its goals by working with clinical, research, education, and business partners to organize, integrate, govern, and transform UCSF’s data assets into actionable insight and information.
- Bachelor's degree in a related area and/or equivalent experience/training
- At least 3 years writing T-SQL. Experienced in writing complex SQL queries and stored procedures. Understanding of query performance tuning
- Minimum of 3 years using at least one ETL tool such as Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), Microsoft Azure Data Factory, IBM InfoSphere DataStage, or any ETL applications. Capable of designing and developing data extraction, integration, and transformation solutions. Demonstrate the ability to create, code, and test ETL routines. Possess an understanding of the principles of effective ETL design
- At least 3 years designing and creating reports, scorecards, and dashboards using Tableau, Power BI, or any data visualization tools.
- Expertise in documenting business and functional requirements, and data flows. Able to document business rules and metadata
- Experience developing and executing complex test plans
- Must be able to work with multiple RDBMS environments such e.g. Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL, and so on
- Demonstrate effective communication and interpersonal skills. Demonstrate ability to communicate technical information to technical and non-technical personnel at various levels in the organization
- Self-motivated and works independently and as part of a team. Able to learn effectively and meet deadlines
- Demonstrate complex problem-solving skills
- Possess experience and skills in developing logical and physical dimensional data models with demonstrated understanding of fact and dimension design principles. Experienced in creating database objects and applying security
- Epic Clarity or Caboodle certification
- Experience with the Epic electronic health record databases including Clarity and Caboodle
- Understanding of advanced statistical analytics, machine learning, and data science principles
- Experience cloud computing and technologies
- Experience in an Agile working environment is desired
- Experience in one programming language such as Python, R, Java, C++, C+, etc.
- Advanced knowledge of secure software development
- Highly advanced skills associated with software specification, design, modification, implementation, and deployment of large-scale scope
- Excellent project leadership and management skills
- Able to resolve and improve performance issues. Experience in working with other technical and business teams to carry out system performance tuning
- Experience with clinical and healthcare administration data
- Experience with healthcare, education, research, financial, or business administrative data
- Knowledge of the Epic data and workflows and know how to use these data effectively in data modeling, reporting, and analytics
- Experience with the data and business processes in ERP, CRM, business administration, tertiary education, and research proposals/grants is a plus
At UCSF Health, our mission of innovative patient care, advanced technology and pioneering research is redefining what’s possible for the patients we serve – a promise we share with the professionals who make up our team.
Consistently ranked among the top 10 hospitals nationwide by U.S. News & World Report – UCSF Health is committed to providing the most rewarding work experience while delivering the best care available anywhere. In an environment that allows for continuous learning and opportunities for professional growth, UCSF Health offers the ideal atmosphere in which to best use your skills and talents.
UCSF is a diverse community made of people with many skills and talents. We seek candidates whose work experience or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to professionalism, respect, integrity, diversity and excellence – also known as our PRIDE values.
In addition to our PRIDE values, UCSF is committed to equity – both in how we deliver care as well as our workforce. We are committed to building a broadly diverse community, nurturing a culture that is welcoming and supportive, and engaging diverse ideas for the provision of culturally competent education, discovery, and patient care. Additional information about UCSF is available at diversity.ucsf.edu
Join us to find a rewarding career contributing to improving healthcare worldwide.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California San Francisco is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Job Code and Payroll Title
000599 DATA SYS ANL 4
Clinical Systems / IT Professionals, Professional and Managerial
99 - Policy-Covered (No Bargaining Unit)
Remote / Telecommute
Additional Shift Details
Mondays through Fridays