Midwest Tape is a library-dedicated full-service media distributor providing physical and digital media to thousands of libraries across North America and beyond. We are strong believers in continually innovating to better serve our customers and deliver the best experience possible for the staff and patrons of public libraries.
The Midwest Tape family of companies includes hoopla digital, the fastest-growing library app serving digital media to patrons, and Dreamscape Publishing, the library-first publisher of audiobook and video. Our international headquarters, built in 2016 to house our distribution center and support teams, is located in Holland, Ohio.
As we build our team to support the ongoing growth of our business, we are looking for enthusiastic team players dedicated to delivering best-in-class service for our library customers and their patrons.
The Senior Data Engineer (SDE) will play a key, exciting, and important role in extending and enhancing Midwest Tape machine learning and advanced analytics capabilities. Your work will play a key role in serving and growing a multinational marketplace with millions of customers. Midwest Tape is the best at what it does, you will make it even better.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage the efficient storage and movement of data, locally and cloud
- Implement and oversee ETL, ELT, and data-shaping pipelines
- Create and oversee the operation of high-speed APIs
- Extend data gathering systems
- Inspect legacy code for bottlenecks, inefficiencies, and difficulties
- Advocate for constant improvement and best practices
- Deploy software tools, processes and metrics, including alerting tools
- Knowledge of SQL and NoSQL database technologies (including, without limitation, Postgres, MongoDB, and AWS tools such as Redshift)
- Expert-level grasp of Python, ultra-efficient data structures, and graph algorithms
- Familiarity with the I/O pertinent to basic machine learning paradigms (clustering, classification, association mining)
- Understanding of statistics and probability, including sampling techniques and Monte Carlo simulations
- Know how to get the most from each gigabyte of memory, how to optimize runtimes, and how to use parallel processing
- History of implementing or managing RESTful APIs
- Ability to communicate clearly and professionally with technical and non-technical audiences
- Able to work in and agile environment
Preferred Education Requirements:
- B.S., M.S., in computer science, electrical engineering, physics, mathematics, or related area or equivalent experience
- Minimum 3 years of pertinent experience
Physical Requirements/Work Environment:
The work environment characteristics and physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to regularly sit for extended periods of time
- Ability to work on a computer for extended periods of time
- Ability to perform repetitive motion type tasks