If you’re passionate about helping people protect what matters most to them, as well as innovating and simplifying processes and operations to provide the best customer value, then Nationwide’s Property and Casualty team could be the place for you!
Compensation Grade (for internal use only): F4Job Description Summary
We are a versatile group of individuals, working together to meet the needs of our customers. We value knowledge, analytical aptitude and collaboration. If you thrive in a busy, engaging work environment, we want to know more about you!
As a Specialist, Business Insights, you'll extract and manipulate internal and external data through R/SAS/SQL/Python, perform diagnostic and inferential analysis, and communicate actionable insights to business partners. You’ll also work with business partners to determine data and information needs to aid the business with decision making and build statistical and visual solutions using sophisticated business intelligence tools. And you may serve as a lead to others for information and data needs. Your focus will be to maximize the insight gained from internal and external data, ensuring that business partners are making decisions in an optimally informed way.Job Description
May Perform Other Responsibilities As Assigned.
- Functions as the specialist in data extraction from databases, tables, data warehouses and other sources through R/SAS/SQL/Python. Develops, produces, and maintains inferential, statistical, ad hoc and custom analyses and modeling for functional business areas. May use various data access tools to pull information for reports and solutions.
- Builds and maintains relationships and serves as a trusted financial and operational measurement resource to clients, internal risk partners and other stakeholders.
- Creates and presents financial and operational results. Ensures that insights are action oriented. May develop new statistical and visual solutions for relevant insights.
- Consults with business partners to understand, align and deliver work that supports business objectives and priorities.
- Leverages statistical inferencing when conducting analysis. Communicates significance in findings when working with business partners. May build business intelligence applications using statistical, database and/or general programming languages and tools.
- May assist other associates with preparation of reports and use of information systems, software and related sources of information and may train other users on report preparation and data base access.
- Serves as a single point of contact and consultant for business areas for the intake and prioritization of data, reporting, analysis, and advanced statistical work.
- Leads and serves as a main point of contact for projects. Monitors, reviews and analyzes the external environment to support the research and analysis done with data extracted from internal sources. Presents and discusses these findings with customers.
Reports to Manager/Director and does not have direct reports.Typical Skills And Experiences
Undergraduate studies in data or business analytics, computer science, management information, business, mathematics or related field with post-graduate studies preferredExperience:
Six or more years of related experience with data extraction, data manipulation, data visualization analysis, and problem solving; working with large database. Professional experience in insurance, financial services, or a related industry preferred.Knowledge, Abilities And Skills
In-depth knowledge of business policies and procedures, customer service concepts and practices. In-depth understanding of and working knowledge to build data visualization and business intelligence tools. Strong communication skills to interact with others. Ability to understand business processes and the data produced by them. Understanding of functional and operational measurement needs, analyze data requests and interpret business problems into solutions. Ability to work under tight time constraints. Capable of developing distinctive and understandable data visualizations. Other criteria, including leadership skills, competencies and experiences may take precedence. Staffing exceptions to the above must be approved by the hiring manager’s leader and Human Resources Business Partner.Values:
Regularly and consistently demonstrates the Nationwide Values.Job Conditions
Not Eligible (Exempt)Working Conditions:
Normal office environment. Occasional travel, nonstandard or extended work may be required based on project needs.ADA:
The above statements cover what are generally believed to be principal and essential functions of this job. Specific circumstances may allow or require some people assigned to the job to perform a somewhat different combination of duties.Benefits
We have an array of benefits to fit your needs, including: medical/dental/vision, life insurance, short and long term disability coverage, paid time off with newly hired associates receiving a minimum of 18 days paid time off each full calendar year pro-rated quarterly based on hire date, nine paid holidays, 8 hours of Lifetime paid time off, 8 hours of Unity Day paid time off, 401(k) with company match, company-paid pension plan, business casual attire, and more. To learn more about the benefits we offer, click here.
Nationwide is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive culture where everyone feels challenged, appreciated, respected and engaged. Nationwide prohibits discrimination and harassment and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to any characteristic (or classification) protected by applicable law.
Smoke-Free Iowa Statement: Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company, its affiliates and subsidiaries comply with the Iowa Smokefree Air Act. Smoking is prohibited in all enclosed areas on or around company premises as well as company issued vehicles. The company offers designated smoking areas in which smoking is permitted at each individual location. The Act prohibits retaliation for reporting complaints or violations. For more information on the Iowa Smokefree Air Act, individuals may contact the Smokefree Air Act Helpline at 888-944-2247.
For NY residents please review the following state law information: Notice of Employee Rights, Protections, and Obligations LS740 (ny.gov) https://dol.ny.gov/system/files/documents/2022/02/ls740_1.pdf
Nationwide pays on a geographic-specific salary structure and placement within the actual starting salary range for this position will be determined by a number of factors including the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; the scope, complexity and location of the role as well as the cost of labor in the market; and other conditions of employment. If a Sales job, Sales Incentives, based on performance goals are possible in addition to this range.
The national salary range for Specialist, Business Insights : 73,500.00-152,000.00
The expected starting salary range for Specialist, Business Insights : 81,500.00 - 122,500.00