At Facebook Reality Labs (FRL), our goal is to explore, innovate, and design novel interfaces and hardware for virtual, augmented, and mixed reality experiences. We are driving research towards a vision of an always-on augmented reality device that can enable high-quality contextually relevant interactions across a range of complex, dynamic, real-world tasks in natural environments; to achieve this goal, our team draws on methods and knowledge from artificial intelligence, machine learning, optimal control, and cognitive science. We are specifically looking for a skilled and motivated machine-learning researcher with expertise in deep learning, multimodal machine learning and data processing, sensor fusion, or related fields to join our team. In this position, you will work with domain experts in embodied artificial intelligence (AI), human–computer interaction, computer vision, cognitive and perceptual science, and haptics on problems that contribute to creating user-oriented contextual interactive systems. The position will involve building models that integrate multimodal data sources to predict user actions/goals as well as the actions the device can take to help the user. These models will leverage large-scale real-world data sets and the scale of Facebook machine-learning infrastructure, and will be deployed into AR/VR prototypes to uncover research questions on the path to the next era of human-centered computing. More broadly, the chosen candidate will work with a diverse and highly interdisciplinary team of researchers and engineers and will have access to cutting edge technology, resources, and testing facilities.
Research Scientist, Machine Learning Responsibilities
- Devise and execute cutting-edge research with interdisciplinary collaborators aimed at developing multimodal contextual models and representations.
- Develop research-grade code for deployment in research prototypes.
- Work collaboratively to develop novel machine-learning models in service of a contextual AI.
- Mentor MS/PhD interns and postdocs and collaborate with external academic groups to advance our research goals.
- PhD degree in the field of deep learning, artificial intelligence, machine learning, computer science, or related areas.
- Expertise in at least two of the following areas: multimodal machine learning/sensor fusion, deep embedding methods, time-series modeling, active/online learning, human–computer interaction.
- 3+ years of experience in at least three of the following: Python, C++, PyTorch, Pandas, scikit-learn. This experience should include formulation, training, and evaluation of new algorithms in Pytorch and writing reusable Python modules.
- 3+ years of experience developing end-to-end ML pipelines, including: dataset preprocessing, model development and evaluation, and software integration.
- 3+ years of experience working in a modern software development environment, including: unit testing, source control, and continuous integration.
- Track record of peer-reviewed scientific publications, published open-source software, or other recognitions for scientific contributions (e.g., awards, grants).
- Experience with interdisciplinary and/or cross-cultural collaboration.
- Familiarity with multi-agent systems, meta-learning and metareasoning methods.
- Familiarity with 3D simulation environments and engines.
- Experience with modern C++ (C++11 and beyond).
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.