Are you looking for a supportive, collaborative workplace with great teams and inspiring leaders? You’ve come to the right place. We’re looking for ambitious people who share our values and want to make every day better for people around the world. If this sounds like you, and the career below sounds exciting, we’d like to hear from you.
At John Hancock, data scientists work collaboratively with data and machine learning engineers, IT, and subject matter authorities to create analytical models and data architectures to solve the most pressing business problems. Working within a modern MLOps framework, data scientists are constantly delivery value by deploying their solutions in cloud-based production environments.The Opportunity
The data scientist is accountable for delivering business value with data by focusing on key corporate objectives, including portfolio optimization, expense efficiency, growth acceleration, digital customer leadership, fraud detection, and high-performance of the team. The data scientist is a business value enabler bridging between data assets, technology, and business expertise. The data scientist is responsible for designing, building, and deploying business interpretable and performant analytics solutions and applications. The data scientist works closely with data and machine learning engineers to deploy systematic, modular, and scalable, self-service capabilities to continuously increase the capacity of the advanced analytics team to deliver value. The data scientist leverages and shares their deep knowledge of, and experience with, a wide variety of data analytics practices and methods. The data scientist helps others to improve their knowledge and understanding of the use of data and technology.Responsibilities
Bridging between data assets, technology, and business expertise
- Collaborate shoulder-to-shoulder with business experts.
- Understand the business, the associated processes, systems & data environment.
- Research, explore, and experiment with data driven business ideas.
- Research & leverage published material to gain a comprehensive understanding of data science practices and methods.
Designing and building business interpretable and performant analytics solutions
- Develop and implement data analytics enabled solutions to improve and re-imagine business process, to generate insights, and support strategy development.
- Work on problems of diverse scope and complexity requiring the in-depth analysis of data.
- Quickly develop enough business insight to connect data sources across multiple diverse and complex systems.
- Generate relevant, actionable insights based on iterative data analysis, translating data-driven output into business language, and making appropriate recommendations to business partners.
- Work closely with business teams and data science engineers to collaboratively build and deliver rich data content for analysis.
- Deploy rich data and analytics content in business applications.
- Understand how the analysis of data impacts a broader business strategy, including the core drivers of business value.
- Prepare cases on the benefits of the analytics work.
Elevate data and analytics skills in the business
What motivates you?
- Help business partners better understand the use of data, drawing on a thorough understanding of and experience with data analytics and predictive modeling.
- Identify and guide natural data champions in the business to enhance the profitable use of data.
- Learn salient business concepts from data champions and enable them to creatively use data assets.
- You obsess about customers, listen, engage and act for their benefit.
- You think big, with curiosity to discover ways to use your agile approach and enable business outcomes.
- You thrive in teams and enjoy getting things done together.
- You take ownership and build solutions, focusing on what matters.
- You do what is right, work with integrity and speak up.
- You share your humanity, helping us build a diverse and inclusive work environment for everyone.
What we are looking for
- Masters in quantitative field (Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Machine Learning, AI, Statistics, or equivalent)
- Knowledge and expertise with SQL with Oracle, MySQL, and Relational Databases
- Skilled with Java, C++, or other programming language, as well as with R, SAS, MATLAB, Python, Julia or similar languages
- 2+ years of experience working in data science in a consumer product company working with Machine Learning Scientists, Data Scientists, Research Scientists, Applied Scientists, or equivalent fields
What can we offer you?
- A PhD in a quantitative field (Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Machine Learning, Bioinformatics AI, Statistics, or equivalent)
- Practical experience in several of the following areas: machine learning, NLP, statistics, experimental design, deep learning, recommendation systems,
- Knowledge and experience in network and graph based analytics techniques including graph databases
- Functional knowledge of Azure Cloud Platform such as Azure ML and Data Factory
- Ability to distill informal customer requirements into problem definitions, dealing with ambiguity and competing objectives
- Superior verbal and written communication skills, ability to convey thorough mathematical concepts and considerations to non-experts
- Excited about working in a diverse group and contributing to an inclusive culture.
Our commitment to you
- A competitive salary and benefits packages.
- A growth trajectory that extends upward and outward, encouraging you to follow your passions and learn new skills.
- A focus on growing your career path with us.
- Flexible work policies and strong work-life balance.
- Professional development and leadership opportunities.
Every career at Manulife/John Hancock provides the opportunity to learn new skills and move your career forward. Ready to make an impact somewhere? What are you waiting for? Apply today.
- Values-first culture: We lead with our Values every day and bring them to life together.
- Boundless opportunity: We create opportunities to learn and grow at every stage of your career.
- Continuous innovation: We invite you to help redefine the future of financial services.
- Delivering the promise of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion: We foster an inclusive workplace where everyone thrives.
- Championing Corporate Citizenship: We build a business that benefits all stakeholders and has a positive social and environmental impact.
About John Hancock And Manulife
John Hancock is a unit of Manulife Financial Corporation, a leading international financial services group that helps people make their decisions easier and lives better. We operate primarily as John Hancock in the United States, and Manulife globally, including Canada, Asia and Europe. We provide financial advice, insurance and wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. Assets under management and administration by Manulife and its subsidiaries were CAD$1.3 trillion (US$1.1 trillion) as of June 30, 2021. Manulife Financial Corporation trades as MFC on the TSX, NYSE, and PSE, and under 945 on the SEHK. Manulife can be found at manulife.com.
One of the largest life insurers in the United States, John Hancock supports more than 10 million Americans with a broad range of financial products, including life insurance, annuities, investments, 401(k) plans, and education savings plans. Additional information about John Hancock may be found at johnhancock.com.Manulife is an Equal Opportunity Employer
At Manulife/John Hancock, we embrace our diversity. We strive to attract, develop and retain a workforce that is as diverse as the customers we serve and to foster an inclusive work environment that embraces the strength of cultures and individuals. We are committed to fair recruitment, retention, advancement and compensation, and we administer all of our practices and programs without discrimination on the basis of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, religion or religious beliefs, creed, sex (including pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions), sexual orientation, genetic characteristics, veteran status, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, family status, disability, or any other ground protected by applicable law.
It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will work with applicants who request a reasonable accommodation during the application process. All information shared during the accommodation request process will be stored and used in a manner that is consistent with applicable laws and Manulife/John Hancock policies. To request a reasonable accommodation in the application process, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Salary & Benefits
Salary will vary depending on local market conditions, geography and relevant job-related factors such as knowledge, skills, qualifications, experience, and education/training. Employees also have the opportunity to participate in incentive programs and earn incentive compensation tied to business and individual performance. Please contact email@example.com for additional information.
Manulife/John Hancock offers eligible employees a wide array of customizable benefits, including health, dental, mental health, vision, short- and long-term disability, life and AD&D insurance coverage, adoption/surrogacy and wellness benefits, and employee/family assistance plans. We also offer eligible employees various retirement savings plans (including pension/401(k) savings plans and a global share ownership plan with employer matching contributions) and financial education and counseling resources. Our generous paid time off program in the U.S. includes up to 11 paid holidays, 3 personal days, 112.5 hours of vacation, and 40 hours of sick time (or more where required by law) each year, and we offer the full range of statutory leaves of absence.
Know Your Rights I Family & Medical Leave I Employee Polygraph Protection I Right to Work I E-Verify I Pay Transparency
Company: John Hancock Life Insurance Company (U.S.A.)