Who we are:
Twitter is seeking a senior data scientist to join the Capacity Engineering team to focus on capacity forecasting.
Twitter is what's happening in the world and what people are talking about right now. It serves hundreds of millions of users across the globe and reaches far more. It relies upon a large infrastructure footprint spanning both private and public cloud totaling many 10's of millions of CPU cores and many Exabytes of storage. Planning the infrastructure demand is challenging in scale, complexity, and uncertainty: Twitter is relentlessly growing and traffic can spike anytime from a single Tweet or rapidly ramp in global crises.
You'll work in a team of data scientists and engineers to understand Twitter's capacity needs and engineer solutions. You'll focus on the forecasting aspect to model and forecast infrastructure capacity needs across different time horizons under varying scenarios and across multiple infrastructure providers. You'll collaborate with stakeholders in Engineering, Finance, and Supply to understand what capacity is needed, why it's needed, and to advise on long term strategic direction.
What you’ll do:
- Forecast capacity demand with confidence intervals at monthly granularity over different time horizons including 3-6 months for immediate allocations, 18+ months for supply chain and financial planning, and 5+ years for infrastructure and business planning. Model inherent uncertainty in developing new products for new markets with new technologies.
- Forecast capacity requirements for planned high traffic/spend events such Black Friday, NYE, SuperBowl, Olympics, and the World Cup.
- Model different scenarios for rapid unplanned traffic spikes and ramps in global site traffic.
- Model different risk scenarios for the availability of capacity including extended regional outages and global supply chain disruption.
- Forecast infrastructure costs on 7-10+ year time horizon for both private and public cloud. Model potential technology improvements and competitive pricing under different hybrid cloud strategies.
- Forecast site traffic including geographic distribution and temporal variation to inform engineering architecture.
- Model and size capacity buffers at different stages to appropriately balance performance and cost under said scenarios.
- Communicate models and forecasts with stakeholders in Engineering, Finance, and Supply.
- Inform company strategy on global infrastructure capacity.
Who you are:
- Passionate to work on challenging forecasting problems with large business impact.
- Adept at translating business needs into concrete requirements.
- Proven ability to drive long term cross-functional projects.
- Biased towards simplicity and action over complexity and deliberation.
- Willingness and ability to lead and mentor other data scientists and engineers on technical matters when necessary.
- Track record of strong product ownership: productionizing, automating, integrating, and documenting models.
- Demonstrated success in modeling and time series forecasting in complex domains with high uncertainty, ideally related to infrastructure.
- Proficient with R or Python.
- 10+ years of relevant industry experience.
- Advanced degree in Economics, Econometrics, Statistics, Operations Research, or related field or equivalent industry experience.
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.