What’s the role about?
As the UK’s most successful omni-channel retailer, E-Commerce is a key part of Our Business - we run two of the busiest websites in the UK, driving a significant proportion of our sales. Our Engineering practice includes 60+ teams, working on everything from Cloud Platforms to Mobile Apps, from E-Commerce functionality to Machine Learning.
Our Engineers work collaboratively and share knowledge, and learning is extremely important to us. We support our Engineers to continuously improve their skills and keep abreast of the latest technologies.
Find out more about being a Data Engineer in the Partnership, and the technology we use.What you’ll be doing?
This is an opportunity to join our John Lewis Partnership Data Platform (PDP) team working as a Senior Data Engineer.
You will be using your excellent Data Engineering skills and experience in designing, implementing and supporting secure cloud-based data platforms, ensuring high-quality delivery outcomes across our data landscape.
The vision for PDP is to embed data-driven decision-making and analytics at scale, across the Partnership. We recognise the importance of data and are backing a significant investment in developing the platform.
We are transforming our in-house Data Engineering capability, which has been at the heart of a move to a cloud-native data platform, to become Product delivery focused. Recent successes have been the PDP underpinning customer experience and loyalty outcomes such as myJL Rewards and the relaunch of myWaitrose.
As a Senior Data Engineer, you will participate in the shaping and delivery of data solutions to meet the needs of a wide variety of stakeholders from across the Partnership. You will be able to propose and build, run and own high quality data products.
You will have a passion for using technology to deliver outstanding and innovative software and data solutions and will have a track record of working in teams delivering complex, performant, high-quality software. We want you to thrive in a fast-paced environment and have a focus on quality, ensuring the delivery aligns with the needs of the business, whilst also being supportable and maintainable and with clear ownership. You will be a champion for exceptional data DevSecOps for our Partners and customers.Internally this role is called Product Engineer (PL6)
What You’ll Already Have
Expert skills in building cloud-based data pipelines using data orchestration and workflow platforms. We use Airflow/Cloud Composer with Python but you may have experience with different orchestration/workflow tools or programming languages.
What Else You Could Bring
- Experienced running/coaching teams - responsible for designing solutions and helping the team implement these solutions.
- Advanced SQL skills, with a deep understanding of how to write performant SQL and debug problems
- Experience with a cloud-based relational Data Warehousing product
- Data transformation tools, preferably DBT
- Cloud-Based data platforms, preferably Snowflake or Big Query
- Designing secure data pipelines and fixing security/performance issues
- Identification of data quality issues
- Deploying to at least one major Cloud Platform such as AWS, GCP or Azure
- Experience in platform as a code, preferably Terraform
- Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery
- TDD, pair programming, preferably Python
- Agile development methods such as Scrum or Kanban.
Where will you be working?:
- Containerisation, Kubernetes
- Built and/or championed observability platforms
- Event-driven design
- Gitlab CI, Jenkins, Circle CI, Jira
- Data orchestration and workflow technologies such as Airflow
- Visualisation & reporting tools such as Tableau or Looker
- ETL tools such as Apache Beam or AbInitio
- Knowledge or experience of DataVault (DV2)
- Data Visualisation
- Understanding of Data Management Concepts.
We have opportunities at both our John Lewis Head Office in London Victoria and Waitrose Head Office in Bracknell, Berkshire.
We have a blended hybrid approach of working from our offices and a home/remote UK location. You are contracted to a Partnership office location. If you choose to work remotely you should be aware that from time to time, you will need to come into the office.