Requisition ID: 103374
Join a purpose driven winning team, committed to results, in an inclusive and high-performing culture.
The Data Scientist role in the Customer Insights, Data & Analytics team is designed for individuals with a curiosity for deriving insights out of data and applying them to address business opportunities, in partnership with global teams and business lines driving innovation and advanced analytics across the Enterprise.
The Data Scientist will support key projects, in an agile rapid lab environment, aimed at accelerating benefits for customers and the bank, leveraging enterprise-level data management tools and advanced analytics. She/he will work closely with Global teams, business lines, Digital Banking and technology to apply advanced analytics techniques and tools, as well as explore ideas to enhance business opportunities utilizing advanced analytics and artificial intelligence.
Work in an Agile environment to deploy solutions within 90-120 days
- Collaborate with business lines and other stakeholders to identify opportunities to drive business value by leveraging business intelligence, data visualization and machine learning best-practices
- Ingest massive volumes of structure and unstructured format data, model, transform and store it in a variety of data stores
- Leverage distributed computing tools (e.g. Spark, Hadoop) for analysis, data mining and modeling
- Collaborate with DevOps team to deploy models and algorithms in production, across business lines and geographies
- Create and apply model and algorithm testing strategies to measure conduct multi-variate testing and A/B testing to measure effectiveness of models and make ongoing changes
- Prepare detailed documentation to outline data sources, models and algorithms used and developed
- Present results to business line stakeholders and help implement real data-driven changes
- Be an integral part of the Advanced Analytics community for incubating ideas and use case acceleration in rapid labs across key markets through advisory, training and scalable solutions
Requirements & Qualificatons:
The Data Scientist role requires rigorous logical thinking, curiosity, flexibility and great teamwork abilities. The candidate will be working on problems at intersection of math, statistics, computer science and financial services business lines
- Training in a relevant STEM discipline. Bachelor and >3 years experience. Master and PhD degrees are preferred (with 1 to 2 years experience)
- Working experience with advanced analytics, machine learning and other AI techniques applied to real world problems
- Experience with designing and implementing machine learning applications (e.g. customer segmentation, product recommendation, propensity model and lookalike models) from data ingestion to results delivery and model productionization.
- Solid SQL skills for querying relational databases (e.g. SQL Server, MySQL, Oracle)
- Hands-on experience with Big Data ecosystem tools (e.g. Hadoop, Hive, Spark, Kafka) and object storage
- Programming skills in Python or Java
- Capability of writing error-free, high quality, maintainable and reusable code
- Experience with common data science and machine learning libraries in Python, R, Spark (e.g. pandas, scitkit-learn, etc)
- Experience with UNIX tools and shell scripting
- Experience using and implementing visualization tools like Tableau, Power BI, Plotly and etc.
- Experience with working in remote computing environments
- Experience with Docker, CI/CD tools, and Airflow
- Knowledge of strategy optimization leveraging operations research principles would be an asset
- Strong collaboration skills with ability to translate technical knowledge into business value
- Effective communication skills with ability to prepare project documentation and presentation for both technical and non-technical audiences
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
Scotiabank is a leading bank in the Americas. Guided by our purpose: for every future, we help our customers, their families and their communities achieve success through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here. Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.