As a data engineer in our dedicated Search quad, you will contribute to personalising the search experience of millions of users across all the apps and websites of our news brands.
The Recommendation & Search Area houses all expertise around information retrieval within DPG Media, focusing on recommendation and search. Our mission is to improve the relevance of our digital products to our customers by providing them with the content they want, whenever and wherever they want it.
The search team consists of two full time developers and is part of a larger Recommendation & Search area consisting of approximately 20 engineers. You will be supported by a platform engineering team that manages the CI/CD pipelines, Machine Learning workflows and most of the infrastructure. This team is tasked with enabling the success of and synergies between the application teams.
Our challenge at this moment
This year we started with a dedicated Search team. Because of its relatively early stage, there is a lot of original development work to do. The current stack is written in Python, and made up out of an Elasticsearch cluster, streaming indexation through Apache Kafka and a FastAPI service.
- One of the first challenges to tackle would be to help us further leverage the capabilities of Kafka to shorten the time it takes to re-index our clusters.
- We’ll also be looking at ways to personalise the search experience levering user data. The system is used by editorial staff to navigate the CMS as well by customers across all the apps and websites of our news brands.
What you'll be doing
- Maintaining and extending our search back-end (Python, Elasticsearch, Kafka, FastAPI, AWS).
- Designing, developing, running and evaluating online AB-tests to improve the quality of the search results.
- Actively monitoring different applications and their infrastructure as well as intervening to solve operational problems whenever they arise.
- Thinking about how we can improve both our back-end and our algorithms. (This also means that we would like you to keep up with developments in the wide field of Information Retrieval and Data Engineering).
- An experience-based salary.
- 36-hour workweek.
- 12% personal choice budget (of which 8% is holiday allowance).
- Participation in the profit sharing arrangement.
- Personal development opportunities such as education, training and certificates.
- Location in Amsterdam (currently we work hybrid).
- Working with the latest stack.
We would like you to have
- A few years of working experience in the field of Data Engineering (preferably with a real-time use case).
- Experience with Python and most of our stack or similar tools.
- An interest in digital media products.
Will you be our new colleague? Then apply now!
Want to know more first? I would be happy to answer your questions via firstname.lastname@example.org.
We prefer to do our recruitment ourselves and do not need any help with this.