This is an opportunity in the exciting and fast-growing transportation technology industry. Public transit is being transformed from a system of static, scheduled fixed-routes, to a dynamic on-demand network, and you’ll be one of the pioneers shaping this transformation. You’ll join a small and rapidly growing client success team (six at present!).
As a Business Data Analyst, you’ll be responsible for analyzing transportation operations data, performing service design, running simulations, assessing key performance indicators, supporting new service launches, driving operational improvements, and providing technical systems support. You will develop a deep understanding of urban mobility challenges faced by transit operators. You will become an expert on RideCo’s technology platform and data-driven design and operation of transportation services.
Your day-to-day responsibilities will include:
- Program management: Plan and execute special initiatives as per the project timeline. Facilitate communication and coordination between project stakeholders including transit planners, senior management, marketing, and operations staff.
- Support new service launches: Setup up, test, and tune system parameters, run simulations, oversee the soft launch, monitor KPIs on launch week and make system changes as needed.
- Generate and analyze operational performance reports: Build performance analysis reports spanning rider user-experience, driver user-experience, marketing, operating efficiency, and unit economics. Compare the performance against goals, evaluate trends, and identify areas for improvement. Review the performance reports with stakeholders and the client operations team to generate insights and actions.
- Provide systems support: Provide ongoing technical systems and analytics support to operations managers. Advise them on using the system’s dashboards and interpreting the data. Perform system configuration changes based on feedback from operations staff, drivers, and passengers.
- Design transportation services: Analyze urban area (density, road network, etc.), travel patterns, user-profiles, demand data, client requirements, and design on-demand transit services that are superior to existing transportation options. Configure the RideCo technology platform reflective of your envisioned service model.
- Run simulations and optimize service design: Perform simulations to analyze performance and operational KPIs. Iterate on the service model by tuning and optimizing dozens of parameters such as dynamic routing engine settings, vehicle count and mix, supply positioning, service frequency, location and density of potential stops, and demand models. Collaborate with the client, operations managers, and other key stakeholders throughout this process. Support the client in setting targets and KPIs for the service prior to launch.
- Drive continuous improvement: Collaboratively develop weekly/monthly actions to drive continuous improvements, and to achieve the service’s objectives (e.g. user experience, ridership, operating efficiency, financials, etc.).
- Improve internal processes and tooling: Identify ways to further automate and systematize our internal processes. Collaboratively champion internal process/tooling improvements.
- Support product improvements: Expand your knowledge of the transportation industry, understand clients’ pain points and identify gaps/opportunities in the product. Share your insights with the product team and assist the product manager in designing new features/improvements to RideCo’s platform.
- Educate: Continuously expand the collective knowledge-base of the company through multi-disciplinary learning and knowledge sharing.
- Education: Undergraduate degree in Management Engineering / Applied Mathematics / Statistics / Finance, or related discipline.
- 1 to 5 years of industry experience as an analyst or technical project manager or related role.
- Project management experience: Establishing requirements, maintaining project plans, communicating with stakeholders, and delivering results on-time.
- Data wizard: Proficient in Excel and Microsoft Office tools. Experience working with business intelligence or visualization tools such as Tableau / SAS / Cognos. Knowledge of relational databases with the ability to read and write SQL is an asset.
- Top-notch communicator: Strong written/oral communication and presentation skills. Experience preparing reports for management.
- Experience in data modeling/analysis or engineering role(s).
- Location: Based in Waterloo, Ontario, or willing to relocate.
- Willing to travel approximately 15%, as needed.
Compensation and benefits:
- Base Salary: $60K - $90K + performance-based commissions/bonus
- Benefits Plan: Dental, prescription, disability, massage, and more
- Food & Fun: Gourmet coffee, teas, juice, snacks, team lunches
- Work-Life Balance: Flex time, work from home, vacation time
Who we are:
RideCo powers on-demand transit. Public transit agencies use RideCo's cloud-based software platform to provide on-demand shared rides in dynamically routed buses and vans. Our clients include some of the world’s largest transportation operators such as Los Angeles Metro, San Antonio Metro, and Calgary Transit.
Have you experienced getting frustrated with transfers and waiting while taking a public bus? Have you seen buses drive around in low-density areas with very few passengers on-board and wondered how inefficient that seems to be? You're likely aware of the first & last mile access challenges faced by transit hubs. We are solving these problems by re-imagining shared mobility. Imagine a world where vehicles have dynamic routes responsive to real-time trip demand. This 'dynamic shuttle' (or van /sedan) would pick you up, on-demand, at or near your doorstep, and take you to your destination or transit hub. Along the way, it may pick-up other passengers going in your direction. Your experience will be seamless: less waiting, less walking, fewer transfers, shorter travel time, and timely pickups and drop-offs. RideCo's 'dynamic shuttle' platform enables this seamless experience and low-cost shared rides for vehicle fleet operators and their passengers. By seamlessly moving more people in fewer vehicles we are catalyzing a generational shift in how people get around cities and towns. This means commuters spend less time in transit and more time doing what they enjoy.
RideCo powers a diverse range of use cases, including residential/ suburban travel; first-mile-last-mile connections for transit hubs; and corporate employee transportation. We are investing to scale up and capture the growing demand for on-demand shared rides solutions.
Email your resume (or link to your LinkedIn profile) and cover letter to:
Email Subject: “Business Data Analyst”