About This Role
Neurologic diseases are complex and can be devastating to patients and there are still significant challenges in their screening, detection, treatment, and monitoring.
At Biogen Digital Health (BDH), we aspire to transform patients’ lives by making personalized & digital medicine in neuroscience a reality. Leveraging data-science and digital technologies, we drive solutions to advance research, clinical care, and patient empowerment.
We stand with our colleagues at Biogen developing pioneering treatments in neuroscience. We believe that now, more than ever, biology and technology should go hand-in-hand to better meet patient needs, while enabling a shift towards more prevention-focused, affordable, and equitable care.
Our team at Biogen Digital Health rejects the status quo and lives by agile principles. We strive for impact through excellence, innovation, and collaboration.
We bravely go where others won’t.
Our people are interdisciplinary, passionate, and champion caring deeply, working fearlessly, and changing lives.
As Sr Data Scientist in Computational Behavior Analytics in Digital Biomarkers Data Science you will advance precision and personalized medicine through the development and validation of transformative digital measures and algorithms using biometric monitoring technologies (BioMeTs) for people living with Multiple Sclerosis [MS], neuromuscular diseases (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis [ALS] and spinal muscular atrophy [SMA]), Parkinson’s disease (PD) and/or Alzheimer’s Disease (AD).What You'll Do
- Develop and implement complex computational behavior analytic (CBA) machine learning pipelines to recognize human activities (actions, routines, etc.) and the context in which they occur (e.g., physiological parameters, location, social interactions, or even cognitive-affective states) from large-scale multimodal raw BioMeT sensor streams.
- Leverage CBA and clinical studies using BDH smartphone-based digital outcome assessment of cognitive and motor functions (Konectom & Intuition apps) for potential biomarkers/endpoints development.
- Perform technical, analytical, and clinical validation analyses and communicate results, including at conferences and in peer-reviewed publications for audiences in the therapeutic area of interest, wearable & ubiquitous computing, and machine learning and digital medicine communities.
- Support BDH Solutions’ design and development of novel sensor-based measurement solutions
This role is of key importance to achieve the strategic vision and objective to make Biogen a recognized leader in digital health neuroscience, hence contributing to our corporate vision & strategy – you will report to the Lead Data Scientist for Computational Behavioral Analytics.
Location: hybrid based in Baar, SwitzerlandQualifications
- PhD in computer science, electrical engineering, applied physics, applied mathematics, data science, biostatistics, or bioinformatics.
- a minimum of 5 years Pharma/Biotech/Tech industry experience, alternatively extensive experience in academic/clinical centers of excellence
- Expertise in the field of sensor-based signal processing and machine learning for human behavior analytics enabling disease modelling, leveraging state of the art methodologies, programming languages, and tools
- Experience in managing complex, interdisciplinary research, and development projects, especially in the fields of software and technology implementation
- Scientific publications in the field of wearable or ubiquitous computing, computational behavior analytics, or large-scale machine learning
- Intrinsic passion for advancing human disease understanding and transforming healthcare using digital technologies.
- Capable to lead execution as part of a A-level transversal team.
- Able to solve complex problems; taking a new perspective on existing solutions; exercising judgment based on the analysis of multiple sources of information.
- In-depth conceptual understanding and practical working knowledge of established analytical/modeling methodologies.
- Profound experience in data science and data engineering programming using python and higher-level libraries such as NumPy, pandas, SciPy, statsmodels, MLflow, scikit-learn, TensorFlow, Matplotlib, Plotly, or similar.
- Good experience in using cloud-based analytics solutions to perform analysis and model building on large data sets, such as Databricks, Dataiku, or similar.
- Experienced in communicating and building consensus on difficult or sensitive information with technology and business teams.
- Strong work ethic with the drive and willingness to go the extra mile
- An entrepreneurial spirit and creativity that sparks your capacity for building and growing business - we love seeing those side projects and design experiments
Why Biogen? Our mission to find therapies for neurological and rare diseases is a unique focus within our industry and this shared purpose is what connects us as a team. We work together to overcome obstacles and to follow the science. We are resilient as we strive to make an impact on our patients’ lives and on changing the course of medicine. Together, we pioneer. Together, we thrive.