Job Location: Hershey, PA
Remote work will be considered.
The Senior Data Scientist will lead the development and delivery of statistical forecast modeling and advanced analytics capabilities for Hershey's Global Demand Planning Organization. This position will primarily leverage SAS software (including Demand Driven Planning & Optimization, and Visual Analytics) to develop advanced modeling capabilities utilizing large disparate data sets to enhance operational forecasting processes with deeper diagnostic and predictive analytics.
- Develop and maintain statistical forecast models for all global demand planning teams
- Lead the development of global demand planning team capabilities in the disciplines of data analytics & modeling
- Evaluate, integrate and optimize internal and external causal data to enhance forecast quality
- Identify new opportunities to expand utilization of advanced techniques and tools in the demand planning process (i.e. machine learning, artificial intelligence, pattern recognition, optimization, etc)
- Bachelor’s degree preferred. Equivalent work experience will be considered.
- Demonstrated proficiency / experience with data mining methodologies (Machine Learning, Classification, Clustering, Association, Regression, etc)
- Demonstrated proficiency / experience performing predictive analytics (Bayesian modeling, Time Series modeling, Neural Networks, Gradient Boosting, Stochastic modeling, Graph Analysis, etc)
- Demonstrated proficiency / experience with analytical tools supporting data analysis, reporting and visualization (Tableau, Spotfire, D3)
- Demonstrated proficiency / experience with a high-level programming language for numerical / statistical computation and visualization (R, Python, SAS, S+, etc)
- Exposure to large data sets and big data / distributed computing platforms (MapReduce, Hadoop, hBase, Hive, Pig)
- Working knowledge of IRI or AC Nielsen syndicated sales information a plus
- CPG industry experience a plus
Additional Knowledge/Skills required:
- Knowledge/understanding of how the following can be used to produce accurate operational forecasts: predictive analytics, machine learning, knowledge discovery in databases, optimization, statistical theory, experimentation and/or time series analysis.
- Ability to manipulate voluminous data with different degrees of structuring across disparate sources to generate and communicate actionable insights.
- Analytical Acumen: The ability to frame up and simplify complex problems, finding root causes and hidden problems, being able to link causality and ultimately provide predictive guidance based on data. Must be able to synthesize disparate information and recognize patterns and connections. Ability to synthesize large sets of data from multiple sources, formulate/validate hypotheses and make business recommendations.
- Business Acumen: Demonstrates understanding of commercial, operational, financial and people aspects of the business. Ability to analyze business processes and to recommend and implement process improvements.
- Ability to collaborate with IT to prepare and manipulate structured and unstructured data for data discovery and mining from multiple disparate resources.
- Ability to create informative visualizations that intuitively display large amounts of data and/or complex relationships.
- Ability to translate data analytics into coherent reports and presentations for internal and external customers with varying degrees of technical knowledge.
- Pro-active thought leader driven to impact business performance.
- Highly productive with minimal supervision.
- Strong collaborative and communication skills.
- Courage to challenge the status quo and take smart risks.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to influence at all levels of the organization.
- Familiarity with supply chain processes.
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The policy of The Hershey Company is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's race, color, gender, age, national origin, religion, citizenship status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other categories protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority/Female/Disabled/Protected Veterans