Applied Systems, Inc., a worldwide leader in insurance technology, is currently searching for an experienced Lead Database Engineer to join our IVANS division. In this role, you will be responsible for performance tuning, developing, and supporting the data warehouse environment for new and existing insurance software products. You will also work with other application and database teams to provide data services for our clients, including table modeling, stored procedures, ETL, and other assistance to progress and meet technical and business goals. Ideally, you will be well versed conceptually in modern strategies for dealing with data as it flows through the company. Applied Systems is continually looking for ways to modernize our systems to meet ever-changing demands in the market place.
- Provide ongoing maintenance for data modeling initiatives
- Ensure interoperability at the data level with all relevant Applied Systems products and services
- Provide mentoring on database systems to other development and business teams
- Provide support in fixing database and data quality issues via reverse engineering
- Contribute to and care about data quality efforts, ensuring data accuracy and transparency for our stakeholders
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in CIS, MIS, IT, or related Database Theory degree; or equivalent experience
- 4+ years of experience in the development and maintenance of complex data systems
- Strong SQL skills (Postgres, SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL, etc.)
- Working knowledge of emerging database technologies such as Elastic Search, Big Query, Mongo or equivelant.
- Excellent database tuning techniques and practices, including partitioning, performance tuning, and working with application development teams for enhanced performance
- We are searching for candidates with the following:
- Familiar with core concepts such as how to model data in transit and data at rest
- Familiar with modern methodologies for real time analytics such as change data capture and data streaming
- Experience with cloud architectures such as Azure or AWS
- Experience writing high performing SQL and helping other people tune SQL
- Deep understanding of how to troubleshoot and support large data systems
- Understand that being an effective Data Engineer is about communicating with people as much as it is about designing the system
- Willing to work with and improve systems you did not originally create
- Generous with your time and experience, and can mentor other engineers
- Flexible with languages and tools, and are willing to learn whatever is necessary to get the job done
- You can tackle unconstrained problems and know when to seek help
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills
IVANS, a division of Applied Systems, is the insurance industry’s exchange connecting insurers, MGAs, agencies, and the insured. IVANS cloud-based software automates the distribution and servicing of insurance products. For more than 35 years, IVANS innovation and expertise has connected 32,000 independent insurance agencies and 380 MGA and insurer partners to enable millions of people to safeguard and protect what matters most in people’s lives.
With locations in Milwaukee, Tampa, and Chicagoland, local talent is preferred, but we are open to candidates throughout the United States.
WHO WE ARE
- LEADING GLOBAL PROVIDER OF CLOUD-BASED INSURANCE SOFTWARE- Applied Systems develops the top two Insurance Agency/Broker Management software products in the world. In addition, we also provide innovative mobile apps, Data Analytics, Customer Self-Service, Insurer Connectivity & Rating, eServicing, Benefits Design, and CRM software products. By automating the insurance lifecycle, Applied’s people and products enable millions of people around the world to safeguard and protect what matters most.
- CLOUD SOLUTIONS & PROFESSIONAL SERVICES- We offer cloud solutions, 24x7 technical support, consulting, implementation, and education services.
- AWARD WINNING TECHNOLOGY- We have been voted
- 2020 Company of the Year (Stevie Award)
- 2020 New Product or Service of the Year- 2 awards (Stevie Award)
- 2019 Best Cloud-Based Software Solutions Provider in the insurance industry (2019 Corporate Excellence Awards)
- 2019 Digital Service Provider of the Year (Business Excellence Awards)
- 2019 Best Broker Software Management House (Insurance Times)
- GOOGLE’S INVESTMENT IN APPLIED- Google/CapitalG made a minority investment in Applied that will spur AI, machine learning, and digital marketing innovation in the global insurance industry.
- CLIENTS- We provide technology to over 160k users within insurance agencies, brokerages, and carriers throughout the US, Canada, the UK, and Ireland.
- EMPLOYEES- Applied currently has 1,800+ employees across the US, Canada, the UK, and Ireland.
COMPANY CULTURE & PERKS
- JOIN A GREAT TEAM- We believe that success comes from a dynamic working environment that offers professionals an opportunity to grow and succeed alongside extraordinary people. We encourage idea sharing, problem solving, and teamwork in our environment.
- RELAXED DRESS CODE- Applied allows for a relaxed dress code where jeans are permitted; we call this “Dress for your Day”.
- FUN PARTIES & PERKS- Fun perks are a staple at Applied, including holiday parties with games and contests, summer celebrations employee appreciation events, art contests, employee discount programs, and more!
- OPPORTUNITIES FOR ADVANCEMENT- We are a growing company that offers career opportunities, and not just “another job”. Applied believes in growing our employees and promoting from within, offering many opportunities for professional advancement along the way!
- CAREER STABILITY & LONGEVITY- Our average employee tenure is 9 years.
- CULTURE OF RECOGNITION- Applied provides a culture of employee recognition with our Circle of Excellence program, and our internal social network recognition program.
- APPLIED CARES- We have a culture that embraces and promotes volunteerism. Applied encourages our employees to help local charities and communities through the ‘Applied Cares’ program
BENEFITS & REWARDS
- BENEFITS FROM DAY ONE- Applied offers Medical, Rx, Dental, Vision, Virtual Doctors’ Appointments, Health Savings Account, Flexible Spending Accounts, Critical Illness, Group Accident, and Wellness Incentives to ensure employees are covered from day one.
- FINANCIAL PEACE OF MIND- In addition to wellness benefits, Applied offers traditional and Roth 401k options, with employer match. Accidental Death & Dismemberment, Short and Long Term Disability, and Business Travel Accident insurance are also offered.
- WORKLIFE BALANCE- There is more to life than work: that is why Applied offers benefits to help balance your work and home life. We offer competitive paid vacation time, personal/sick time, paid holidays, summer hours, paid parental leave, volunteer time off, and a free day off for your birthday!
TO LEARN MORE
- Please visit AppliedSystems.com
Applied Systems welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.