Do you have great skills and experience organizing and managing data? Interested in a role which is contributing to changing lives for the better? Looking for your next challenge?
We are recruiting a Data Scientist who can take responsibility to organise and manage data and metadata assets of the NIHR BioResource project under the guidance of the Senior Data Scientist.
To succeed in this role you will need to be experienced in the manipulation of big data, the analysis and integration of different meta-data types and the use of meta-data standards and vocabulariesAbout NIHR BioResource
Our mission is to facilitate human health research and its transformation into medical practice.
NIHR BioResource is a unique and powerful resource for studying disease mechanisms and for investigating the links between genes, the environment, health and disease, enabling scientific discoveries as well as facilitating translational medicine for the benefit of patients.
Further details on the NIHR BioResource, including some of our COVID-19 research studies, can be found here: https://bioresource.nihr.ac.uk.About The Job
You will be responsible for:
- Linking of omics data (especially genomics) and biomedical, demographic, and phenotypic data that form a major part of NIHR BioResource data assets to enable participant selection for proposed research studies
- Contribute to more complex linkage experiments, e.g. where omics data is joined to sample holdings and rich clinical phenotype
- Prepare datasets for recall based research studies identifying potential volunteers
- Prepare de-identified datasets for release to researchers
- Discussions with researchers re expected standards on data protection, anonymisation and security
Ideally you will have:
What We Offer
- Experience and in-depth knowledge of data and database modelling with proficiency in MySQL and No-SQL or equivalent
- Proven programming ability in Python is a must with experience in using libraries (such as Pandas and Numpy)
- Good knowledge of Linux and shell scripting
- Ability to prioritise and plan work efficiently and meet dead-lines and work unsupervised
The University offers a wide range of benefits including flexible working, family friendly policies, an attractive pension scheme (employer's contribution is 21.6% and 41 days' annual holiday (inclusive of public holidays). We encourage career development by providing extensive training & development opportunities.
This appointment is full-time, 37 hours per week; part-time to 80% will be considered. Work / life balance is important, and we are open to discussion on flexible working, including hybrid working.
The post is available on a fixed-term basis until 30 November 2024 in the first instance. NIHR BioResource is funded by the National Institute for Health & Care Research (NIHR) on a 5-year funding cycle. It was announced last year that NIHR BioResource will receive new funding over the next 5 years.
Our offices are on the Cambridge Biomedical Campus CB2 0QQ (approximately 2 miles south of the city centre).
This appointment requires a Research Passport application.
Click the 'Apply' button below to register an account with our recruitment system (if you have not already) and apply online.
Please ensure that you upload a covering letter and CV in the Upload section of the online application. The covering letter should outline how you match the criteria for the post and why you are applying for this role. If you upload any additional documents which have not been requested, we will not be able to consider these as part of your application.
We encourage informal queries about the job or the application process - please contact:
Jyoti Khadake, Senior Data Scientist Email: email@example.com
Closing date: 2 April 2023
Interview date: Shortly after closing date
Please quote reference RB34301 on your application and in any correspondence about this vacancy.
The University actively supports equality, diversity and inclusion and encourages applications from all sections of society.
The University has a responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to live and work in the UK.