Standard Bank is a firm believer in technical innovation, to help us guarantee exceptional client service and leading edge financial solutions. Our growing global success reflects our commitment to the latest solutions, the best people, and a uniquely flexible and vibrant working culture. To help us drive our success into the future, we are looking for an experienced Data Engineer to join our team at our Johannesburg offices. Standard Bank is a leading African banking group focused on emerging markets globally. It has been a mainstay of South Africa's financial system for 150 years, and now spans 16 countries across the African continent.
This position is essential in supporting our strategic priority for developing applications of machine learning, artificial intelligence and supporting other strategic priorities such as digitisation. We aim to grow our internal community of highly skilled and talented professionals.
Productise data science prototypes
Design machine learning systems
- Machine learning engineers sit at the intersection of software engineering and data science and are involved in research, design, experimentation, development, deployment, monitoring, and maintenance.
Implement machine learning solutions
- Design machine learning systems and create intelligent data-driven products using both existing open source libraries & internally developed machine learning models.
- Develop machine learning applications (production-level code) according to requirements. Software architecture may include platforms such as cloud computing based data platforms or on-premise data platforms.
Research and best practices
- Research and implement appropriate frameworks and tools. Contribute to popular open-source machine learning libraries and frameworks where possible.
- Keep up to date with current technologies and trends. Help grow our internal machine learning & artificial intelligence community.
Preferred Qualification and Experience
- Relevant Tertiary Degree in Quantitative Science
- Courses & certifications from reputable academic institutions in Machine Learning or Software Engineering.
- IT and Computer Sciences Degree
- Certification in MS SQL (including SSRS, SSAS and SSIS)
- 5-7 Years experience in Engineering - Building databases, warehouses and reporting solutions
- 5-7 Years experience in Engineering - Building data integration solutions
- 1- 2 Years experience in Engineering - Operating within an agile team
- 1- 2 Years experience in Engineering - Working with Risk Management data in Financial Services industry
- Experience in data management, data integration and data quality verification
- Understanding of Business Intelligence configuration management tools/processes
- Background in data profiling
- Familiarity with database design and implementation
- Experience in troubleshooting, performance tuning, and optimization
- Knowledge of CI/CD principles and best practices in data processing
- Analytical and problem-solving skills coupled with initiative and accountability
- Familiarity with different software development methodologies
- Work in conjunction with BI and Data Engineers to ensure high quality Data Deliverable
- Design and develop testing frameworks to test ETL jobs, BI reports and Dashboards and other data pipelines
- Write SQL scripts to validate data in the data repositories against the data in the source systems
- Write SQL scripts to validate data surfacing in BI assets against the data sources
- Ensure data quality by checking against our ODS , Data Platforms and the front-end application
- Track, monitor and document testing results
- The development and maintenance of Extract Transform and Load (ETL) processes, database and performance administration, and dimensional design of the table structure. Work closely with Data Architect to understanding and operating data warehousing functionality, building the Unified Data Platform in Microsoft Azure cloud
- Write high-quality, well-structured code that is maintainable and extensible
- Analyze complex data systems to develop automated and reusable solutions for extracting requested information while assuring data validity and integrity
- Perform tasks spanning the full lifecycle of data management activities with minimal supervision
Writing SQl / TSQL Statements - High
- SIS Technology / ETL for Microsoft - Proficient
- SSAS tabular modules - High
- DEX for Measures - High
- SAS - Added Benefit
- Power Bi - High
- Qlikview - High
- Kimbal Methodologies - High
- Control M - Added Benefit
- Teredata SQL - Medium
- SQL Server - Medium
- Agile / SAFE - Added Benefit
- Problem Solving - High
- Critical Thinking - High