Woodruff-Sawyer is looking for a highly analytical, skilled, and talented data scientist with excellent communication skills for the role of Lead Data Scientist. Under the direction of the VP of Commercial lines BI, the analyst will perform a wide range of duties involving data collection, data analysis, process automation, dashboarding, and related data stewardship activities. The work will include collaborating with commercial business intelligence colleagues, downstream customers, and technology colleagues to understand data and analytics processes and streamline data extraction, data compilation, and related activities. A combination of multi-disciplinary skills in building scalable business intelligence assets (data-feeds, data-views, dashboards, reports) and maintaining such assets would be essential to be successful in this role.
The primary responsibility of the role is to support the execution of the data and analytics workflows of the business intelligence team and evolve a common analytics platform:
- Compiles and analyzes data from various data marts into an analytics data mart.
- Evolves data quality monitoring reports to ensure high-quality data in the analytics data marts.
- Researches and rectifies data issues, calculations, etc. in currently published dashboards and data marts.
- Owns, executes, and assists in data integration initiatives for third party data for casualty and ML lines.
- Supports data governance initiatives and executes on maturing data definitions for commercial lines data.
- Identifies, writes, and publishes requirements for migrating Excel-based tools to a common technology platform.
- Participates in platform development calls with the technology team and engages and invites peers and colleagues appropriately in those calls.
- Monitors and updates analytics training modules regularly.
- A Master’s or higher degree in Actuarial Sciences, Statistics, Finance, Engineering, or other quantitative disciplines.
- 10 or more years of experience in Insurance or an allied industry.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Experience working and evolving technology infrastructure for analytics.
- Experience in operationalizing and automating predictive models and complex analytics tools.
- Demonstrable ability to:
- Troubleshooting and rectifying data and calculation errors at impeccable speed.
- Creating beautiful BI dashboards for client-facing sales and client-teams.
- Understanding and applying complex calculations for evolving dashboards.
- Consuming terminologies, data, and information in insurance underwriting and claims.
- Apply data science techniques to surface unusual patterns in data using Python.
- Developing intranet portals using web technologies.