We are looking for a talented and creative Data Scientist interested in pushing the boundaries of online games analytics, with a proven ability to apply your skills, be it technical, behavioural or economic, practically in order to generate business value.
Your role within our Kingdom
If you want to improve the experience of King’s 300 million+ players across our network of games, and help us to further understand, model, predict, segment, monetise and retain those customers, then this may be the right opportunity for you. You will be part of the community of 80+ business intelligence & analytics experts at King, while working on a daily basis in smaller teams of 6- 8 people, including other data scientists, focused on particular games, our network or specific business areas.
- Identify potential business opportunities within your area and scope/design approaches to capture those opportunities
- Translate business needs to technical requirements and AB- tests, and work with development teams to ensure correct implementation, specifically including correctly tracking the right information to allow easy, precise analysis of the impact
- Develop an analysis strategy and perform analysis of complex scenarios and AB- tests, both systematically and on a one- off basis.
- Carefully check, debug, and problem solve issues to ensure you deliver accurate and clear analysis and reports, quickly, even when confronted by subtle data complications
- Provide an analytics perspective to discussions and prioritisation within your team, so that the overall team selects the right ideas to work on
- Be the pro- active owner of the entire data chain for your game(s)
Skills to create thrills
You have a passion for quantitative analysis and the ability to draw business insights that will add real value to King. You will need to demonstrate the ability to learn quickly and work in a fast paced and collaborative environment whilst communicating effectively with teams and individuals across King - such as Game Developers, Business Performance Managers and Marketeers.
While we certainly don’t expect you to have all of these skills from day one, we do expect you to learn and develop in each of the following five areas:
- Business Insight: The ability to deeply understand the problems and issues our games and business wants to solve and therefore define for yourself the right data or analysis or interpretation to lead to the right recommendations and decisions
- SQL: The ability to write complex SQL queries to analyse our databases with 300+ million players, and work effectively with both Hive and relational database systems.
- Analytical coding: Using tools such as R, Python (and also Excel) for analytical purposes
- Stats: Understanding the appropriate statistical or machine learning techniques to use in different circumstances.
- Communication: Designing good ways of communicating, visualising or reporting your results/analysis so they are clear and unambiguous
There is plenty of scope at King for you to learn from your colleagues in those areas where you have less experience, and to share your own skills where you are stronger.
Specific experience that might be helpful, but is not required, include: experience in the games industry or similarly sophisticated customer- facing digital businesses; experience in “big data” systems such as Hadoop, Hive; experience in behavioural psychology/economics; robust understanding of more advanced statistical techniques suitable for analysis of highly skewed populations; experience in predictive analytics, segmentation, and related areas; experience in experimental design; software engineering skills in Java and other languages (beyond R, Python which we use most frequently); skills with standard reporting tools such as QlikView/Tableau/etc.
- Smart – intellectual dexterity
- High integrity
- Low ego
- Pragmatic problem- solver - someone who looks for solutions rather than worrying about problems
King is the game developer behind the world- famous Candy Crush franchise, as well as mobile game hits including Farm Heroes, Bubble Witch and Pet Rescue. Candy Crush is the top- grossing franchise in US app stores, a position it has held for the last two years, and King’s games are being played by 255 million monthly active users as of Q2 2021. King, which is part of the Activision Blizzard group since its acquisition in 2016, employs nearly 2,000 people in game studios in Stockholm, Malmö, London, Barcelona and Berlin, and offices in San Francisco, New York, and Malta.
A Great Saga Needs All Sorts of Heroes
Making games is fun. Especially when you do it with people who share the same idea of what makes a good workplace great. We design games for everyone, no matter where they are or who they are, and we employ all sorts of people from all kinds of backgrounds to bring them to life. Truth is, we simply cannot expect diversity in our players and originality in our games without first nurturing it in our people. A great saga needs all sorts of heroes.
Making the World Playful
Making the World Playful is what inspires us to create new experiences and raise the bar. It’s what makes King a place where we can all dream bigger, continue to add innovation to our games, broadening the portfolio and exploring new territories in mid- core and casual. We take the art and science of gaming to the next level through our curiosity for the unexplored, passion for games, respect for each other and love for our players – and we’re not afraid to have fun along the way. In fact, together with our parent company Activision Blizzard and experts around the world, we believe having fun is good for you. There has never been a better time to join us. We're dreaming bigger and see a world of possibilities ahead. If you share our passion, our values, and our hunger to shape the future, join us in Making the World Playful!
Applications needs to be in English.
Discover King at careers.king.com