Are you a highly motivated and innovative person with a deep experience as an analyst or a programmer and an obsession with finding patterns that can predict the future or recommend better actions? If so, we have an exciting opportunity for you in our Analytics & Data Lifecycle Services team!
In the role of a Data Scientist, you’ll contribute to our mission by championing, designing, developing, and implementing some of the most leading-edge analytics algorithms. Machine learning and other advanced analytics techniques are already being leveraged to create significant efficiencies in solutions, processes, and systems at WorkSafeBC, and our team’s focus is to expand on how we use this rapidly evolving technology to assist our internal clients as they seek to achieve the best outcomes from their decisions.
If you are energized by the thought that there are complex and untapped patterns hidden deep within our data that are not currently being used to improve decision making, and that those patterns could unlock huge new value for our organization and for our external stakeholders, then consider joining our team!
This is a hybrid position where you will primarily work at home and be on-site at our Richmond office occassionally.
We’re looking for someone who can:
- Initiate, plan, lead, and monitor team objectives to completion
- Provide just-in-time feedback and coach and mentor to improve personal and team effectiveness
- Ask pertinent questions, summarizes, verifies and interprets data; assimilates technical and business information; presents and reviews relevant information with clients, co-workers, and contacts to achieve mutual understanding
- Has a working knowledge of SQL, or other similar data extraction and transformation language commonly used by data scientists
- Has a working knowledge of Python, R, or other similar coding language commonly used by data scientists
- Has a general knowledge of analytical and statistical techniques and methods to measure performance
- Has a working knowledge in supervised machine learning techniques, including classification and regression.
- Has a general knowledge in advanced machine learning techniques, such as deep neural networks, recurrent neural networks, convolutional neural networks, reinforcement learning, and generative adversarial networks, with an understanding of how to leverage both structured and unstructured data
Your experience and educational background:
- A Master’s degree in Data Science or a Data Science-related discipline such as Statistics/Mathematics, Operations Research, Big Data, Computer Science, Information Technology, or Engineering
- A minimum of six years’ of business intelligence or statistical analysis, and within the six years, at least three years of advanced analytics, predictive modeling, and/or text mining solution development
You will be required to successfully meet WorkSafeBC’s requirements with regards to a criminal record clearance.
If you require an accommodation in the assessment process, please email the HR Testing Accommodation (SM) at the time you submit your application
Who are we?
At WorkSafeBC, we’re dedicated to promoting safe and healthy workplaces across British Columbia. We partner with workers and employers to save lives and prevent injury, disease, and disability. When work-related injuries and diseases occur, we provide compensation, and support injured workers in their recovery, rehabilitation, and safe return to work. We also work diligently to sustain our workers compensation system for today and future generations. We’re honoured to serve the 2.4 million workers and 245,000 registered employers in our province.
WorkSafeBC requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. In implementing the policy, WorkSafeBC will consider its obligations to accommodate those staff who are unable to be vaccinated.
We recognize that our ability to make a difference relies on building a team with a rich variety of skills, knowledge, backgrounds, abilities, and experiences, and which reflects the diversity of the people we serve. We are committed to fostering a welcoming, inclusive, and supportive work culture where everyone can contribute as their best, authentic self. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply.
What’s it like to work at WorkSafeBC?
It’s challenging, stimulating and hugely rewarding. Our positions offer tremendous diversity and excellent opportunities for professional growth. Every day, the work we do impacts people and changes lives. What we do is important and so are the people we do it for.
Being part of WorkSafeBC means being part of a strong, committed team. Along with a competitive salary, your total compensation package includes vacation, optional leave arrangements, health care and dental benefits, and contributions toward your retirement pension. As a member of our team, you'll have access to services and benefits that can help you get the most out of work — and life.
WorkSafeBC has adopted a hybrid model offering opportunities to work remotely and onsite based on the operational needs of the position. Learn more about what we offer.
This position is restricted to those legally entitled to work in Canada.
Thank you, in advance, for applying.