Under the direction of the Data Science Systems Manager, the Data Scientist II is responsible for modeling complex institutional problems, discovering insights and identifying opportunities using statistical, algorithmic, mining and visualization techniques. In addition to advanced analytic skills, this role is also proficient at integrating and preparing large, varied datasets, architecting specialized database, and computing environments, and communicating results.
Collaborating closely with Data Science Developers, this role will partner with our business stakeholders to identify ways to augment and enhance our data in order provide insight beyond what can be gleaned from the data we have today. Major Functions (Duties and Responsibilities)
1. Lead and drive cross functional data science projects from beginning to end: build relationships with partner teams, frame and structure questions, collect and analyze data.
2. Apply descriptive and predictive analytics to help drive insights and business decisions.
3. Apply a diverse set of tactics such as statistics, quantitative reasoning, and machine learning to research and produce insights.
4. Work with data engineering and data solutions teams to ensure proper data tracking is set up for features and support debugging and development of new ETL processes.
5. Build deep-dive analyses and eventually machine learning models to better forecast risk across the portfolio for our contracts and claims activity.
6. Support business operations, finance, quality systems, and other internal teams by building analytics and reporting to understand overall business performance and increase organizational efficiencies
7. Manage tests for specific provider and generate data to build out case studies and messaging strategies.
8. Designs experiments, test hypotheses, and build models.
9. Conducts data analysis and moderately complex algorithm.
10. Works with Institute stakeholders to identify the business requirements and the expected outcome.
11. Works with and alongside business analysts by suggesting other products of interest to the client.
12. Models and frames business scenarios that are meaningful and which impact on critical business processes and/or decisions.
13. Collaborates with Institute subject matter experts to select the relevant sources of information.
14. Recommends ongoing improvements to methods and algorithms that lead to findings, including new information.
15. Provides on-going tracking and monitoring of performance of decision systems and statistical models.
16. Communicate analysis and decisions to high-level stakeholders and executives in verbal, visual, and written formats.
17. Collaborate with business leaders, subject matter experts, and decision makers to develop success criteria and optimize new solutions, features, policies, and models.
18. Demonstrate a commitment to support IEHP’s strategic priorities to become a 5-Star Health Plan and incorporate LEAN principles into daily work. Experience Qualifications
Four or more (4+) years of experience in analytics, data science, and business intelligence. Experience in developing algorithms, predictive analytics, or statistical models. Experience in analyzing large data sets that have complex designs that are unstructured, structured, and semi-structured. Proven ability to facilitate cross-functional projects that depend on the contributions of others in a variety of disciplines. Fluency with data warehouse design practices, analytics, and visualization technologies. Experience in the use of statistical packages. Preferred Experience
Experience in the areas of medical or health services is preferred. Education Qualifications
Master Degree in Mathematics, Statistics or Computer Science, or related field from an accredited institution is required. Preferred Education
Doctorate degree from an accredited institution preferred. Drivers License Required No Knowledge Requirement
Strong analysis and critical thinking skills. Strong written and verbal communication skills. Excellent interpersonal/ communication skills. Abilities Requirement
Ability to multi-task while maintaining careful attention-to-detail. Ability to handle multiple projects, data input, and strong problem-solving capability. Ability to build relationships and influence across the organization. Independent self-starter who is driven to success, takes great pride in accomplishments and works with a sense of urgency to meet deadlines and address competing priorities. Commitment to Team Culture
The IEHP Team environment requires a Team Member to participate in the IEHP Team Culture. A Team Member demonstrates support of the Culture by developing professional and effective working relationships that include elements of respect and cooperation with Team Members, Members and associates outside of our organization. Working Conditions
Word processing involving computer keyboard and screens. Willingness to be on call, 7x24x365 (less pre-approved exceptions) and attend to technical issues outside of normal business hours. Physical Requirements Keyboarding: Traditional - FREQUENTLY Keyboarding: Other - FREQUENTLY Use of computer mouse - FREQUENTLY Hearing: One-on-One - FREQUENTLY Communicate: Verbally engage with customer base - FREQUENTLY Side to side motion of the wrist - FREQUENTLY Up and down flexion of wrist - FREQUENTLY Communicate: Information/ideas verbally - FREQUENTLY Alternate Sit/Stand or Walk at Will - FREQUENTLY Near Visual Acuity - FREQUENTLY Develop and maintain positive work relationships - FREQUENTLY Sitting - CONSTANTLY Indoors - FREQUENTLY Lighting - CONSTANTLY Regular contacts: co-workers, supervisor - FREQUENTLY Problem Solving - FREQUENTLY Memory - FREQUENTLY Understand and follow direction - FREQUENTLY Regular and reliable attendance - CONSTANTLY
Starting Salary: $119,100.80 - $151,860.80
Pay rate will commensurate with experience
Inland Empire Health Plan (IEHP) is the largest not-for-profit Medi-Cal and Medicare health plan in the Inland Empire. We are also one of the largest employers in the region. With a provider network of more than 6,000 and a team of more than 2,000 employees, IEHP provides quality, accessible healthcare services to more than 1.2 million members. And our mission and core values help guide us in the development of innovative programs and the creation of an award winning workplace. As the healthcare landscape is transformed, we’re ready to make a difference today and in the years to come. Join our Team and Make a Difference with us! IEHP offers a Competitive salary and a benefit package with a value estimated at 35% of the annual salary, including medical, dental, vision, team bonus, and retirement plan.