You are a driven and motivated problem solver ready to pursue meaningful work. You strive to make an impact every day & not only at work, but in your personal life and community too. If that sounds like you, then you've landed in the right place.
The Hartford has invested in and has been successfully executing on a multi-year strategy to create a sustained culture of process excellence and continuous improvement, enabling achievement of our vision of being an exceptional company celebrated for financial performance, character and customer value.
This role will be part of the Actuarial Technology and Innovation Team, a dedicated hybrid actuarial/data science team utilizing statistical modeling, machine learning, and advanced data engineering techniques to provide value across the actuarial lifecycle. Our team is a cross-functional team of data scientists, data engineers, and actuaries working in a highly collaborative development environment which involves heavy interaction with and training of partner-customers in Actuarial. For this role, we are seeking a Data Scientist to own the monitoring, maintenance, and enhancements of multiple commercial lines risk score models.
We seek candidates with a strong foundation in statistical modeling and/or machine learning, data technologies, and software engineering who have a drive for finding efficient solutions to maximize business value. As this role will primarily involve communicating risk score model performance and work to various business partners, clear communication and excellent presentation skills are required. Our team culture prioritizes flexibility and tailored solutions, so an aptitude and desire to research state-of-the-industry solutions is a must, along with an aptitude to learn new tools and languages as necessary.
- Monitor risk score model performance on a regular basis and clearly communicate findings with key business stakeholders
- Work with business partners in actuarial, product, and data science to enhance existing risk score models
- Use creativity and innovation to develop improved methods of detecting and communicating changes in model performance
- Design, build, and test new functionality in our analytical web applications
- Learn/bring best practices to guide the direction of our Data Science and Data Engineering workflows
- Partner with customers and collaborate with both onshore & offshore developers to solve customer requests
- Support training, consulting, or statistical modeling efforts as needed / desired
- Proactively accesses technical issues and risks that could impact speed, functionality, flexibility, or clarity
- Identify opportunities to reuse strategic components and reduce system complexities
- Results driven with commitment to meeting deadlines
- Attends to detail and manages multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment
- High level of independence, but is also a team player that demonstrates a high level of ownership
- Master's Degree in Statistics, Computer Science, related field
- Programming experience in R and/or Python required
- 2+ years of experience in the P&C insurance industry
- Application programming experience in Shiny and R Markdown is highly desired
- Additional SQL, Spark, Hadoop, Java, or web programming experience is a plus
The listed annualized base pay range is primarily based on analysis of similar positions in the external market. Actual base pay could vary and may be above or below the listed range based on factors including but not limited to performance, proficiency and demonstration of competencies required for the role. The base pay is just one component of The Hartford’s total compensation package for employees. Other rewards may include short-term or annual bonuses, long-term incentives, and on-the-spot recognition. The annualized base pay range for this role is:
$80,480 - $120,720
Our company’s success is due to our employees’ dedication and passion for their work. They are our greatest asset. That’s why we are committed to offering employees and their families a comprehensive benefits package and award-winning well-being programs. By helping our employees achieve their full potential, we unlock our own. Visit https://www.thehartford.com/careers/benefits for details.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity or Expression/Religion/Age
Data Scientist - GD08AE