Primary Location: United States of America-OHIO-Franklin County-Columbus
Organization: Ohio Department of Higher Education
Classified Indicator: Unclassified
Bargaining Unit / Exempt: Exempt
Work Hours: 40
Compensation: $50,000 - $65,000
Unposting Date: Apr 8, 2021, 10:59:00 PM
Job Function: Education
Individual ContributorAgency Contact Name:
Agency Contact Information:
Data Analyst, Finance and Data Management - Administrative Staff and unclassified pursuant to §124.11 (A) (30) and §3333.03 of the Revised Code. Serves at the pleasure of the Chancellor and in a fiduciary capacity to the Ohio Department of Higher Education. Reports directly to the Director, Data Management.
- Assists with all aspects of data input, usage, and related training with Ohio’s Colleges and Universities and the Higher Education Information System (HEI)
- Performs analysis to assess and maintain data quality standards for data submissions from campuses through the HEI system.
- Assists the development of data visualizations using tools like Tableau and/or Power BI
- Assists the implementation of data quality control measures and performs data quality audits as needed
- Collects and reviews confidential documents and gathers appropriate back-up documentation from institutions for audits
- Serves as independent and primary contact for information requests and data analyses for both internal and external customers
- Ensures appropriate handling of confidential and sensitive information and information systems comprised of personally identifiable information as defined by FERPA and HEA.
- Software skills needed: data query tools such as SQL and SAS. Ability to create visualizations with Tableau or other similar tools, Excel and/or Microsoft Access.
- Other duties as assigned.
Coordinating with the data analyst staff members in analyzing and reviewing data to identify data reporting issues and to ensure data reliability and validity for the Higher Education Information System (HEI). Downloading data from external sources and working with Information Technology staff to upload data to appropriate information systems.
Responding to data requests and conducting research for agency priority projects, Ohio Information Exchange (OIEX), Higher Education Information (HEI) data warehouse and national higher education data sources using data query tools such as SQL and SAS. Ability to create visualizations with Tableau or other similar tools, Excel and/or Microsoft Access.
Developing, maintaining and creating programs written in SQL and/or SAS code to extract the HEI and related data for policy decisions and related research. Identifies HEI data quality issues and concerns. Responds to stakeholder requests for data verification and assists with system-related process questions. Responsible for access to confidential and sensitive information and information systems including personally identifiable information as defined by FERPA.
- Bachelor’s Degree; Master’s Degree Preferred
- At least 3 years of prior experience doing data analysis, data management, or research in a higher education (or similar setting)
- Ability to lead work and assist others with data analysis, data collection, and policy related research.
- Strong quantitative, analytical and writing skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge and proficiency of SQL or PL/SQL
- Proven computer and statistical skills and data analysis skills, preferably with SAS
- Data visualization skills with Tableau or similar
- Proficient with use of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access software.
- Capable of writing detailed documents, conducting research in a team environment and working with complex data.
- Experience making presentations and leading discussions.
- Solid customer service skills
- Ability to work autonomously or in a team environment seamlessly.
- Ability to learn and acclimate to procedures and task quickly.